Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Cumberland Island National Seashore

I’m back from my backpacking trip on Cumberland Island. We (my brother and I) had perfect weather the whole weekend…low 80s, gentle breezes, lots of sunshine. For the most part, it was an incredible experience. For the most part, we had a blast. However, there is one part that was not so good and even left us wondering about our fate, but I’ll get to that later…

Day 1:
We arrived on the island at the Sea Camp Dock on the ferry Saturday morning at 10:00. We did our orientation with the ranger and let her know that we were headed for the Hickory Hill Campsites in the backcountry. The nearest (untreated and sulfur) water was about a mile away. There are of course no restrooms or showers in the backcountry. Everything we needed for survival, we carried in packs on our backs. My pack weighed in at 45 pounds and Brother’s at 55 pounds. The hike to the campsite was nearly 6 miles. That doesn’t sound far, but considering the heat and the weight we were carrying, it is much more difficult than it sounds. But we did it, sipping water through our hydration packs the entire time and pausing to snap pics of the beautiful scenery. We saw armadillos for the first time. (I had seen one ran over along the road before, but not a living animated one, so that was cool!) We also spotted wild turkey along the trail, but no horses that day.

We reached our campsite less than 3 hours later and set up camp and had a tasty dehydrated meal. Then we set out for a four mile hike to the beach and back. We had to take a longer route via the Duck House Trail to the beach because we were told by the ranger that our closest beach access, Willow Pond Trail, was flooded and the alligators had taken over. We relaxed at the beach a while before heading back to camp. There was no one else there. It was so peaceful and serene. The beach was overtaken by many different kinds of birds…pelicans, oyster catchers, seagulls, sand pipers, etc.

After an early dinner back at camp, there was an early bedtime. I was wiped out. There was no one around us for miles. I fell asleep listening to a hooting owl. Brother cursed about this owl the next morning, but I liked listening to him hoot.

Day 2:
After breakfast, we started a day hike of many, many miles (approx.13 miles) to the northern tip of the island and back. Our first stop was nearly 3 miles away at the Plum Orchard Mansion. The mansion was built in 1898 by the Carnegie family which at one point, owned 90% of the Island. (Their other mansion, the Dungeness, was destroyed by fire and only the foundation stands now. But I’ll mention more later.) Plum Orchard is beautiful and huge. We ran across some wild horses roaming the grounds here. Then we were off for the settlement and First African Baptist Church. After what seemed like forever we made it there. It was hot now and we couldn’t feel the breeze. What was worse, was we were realizing that our water supply we had carried was quickly diminishing. I never would have plotted that hike had I known “the settlement” consisted of a couple of modern houses. (only a few people live on the island) I had envisioned old historic structures barely able to stand. What’s worse is that this church was completely overrated. This is the church that John F. Kennedy Jr. married Carolyn Bissette. Their wedding was the first time that many people ever heard of Cumberland Island. This tiny church which appears so cute in photos and is seemingly standing on nice shaded grounds was in the open sun backed right up against a house that had roosters roaming around and crowing. I had dreamed of walking up to that church and taking pics and all I could think was this is it? I cursed the Kennedy's because I know that they didn’t have to walk there. Soon afterwards, we started toward the beach on the North Cut Road. I knew it was a little longer but I knew that if we walked along the beach in the wind and near water that we could wet ourselves in that we would stay cooler and thus less thirsty. We walked for such a long time. The sun was sinking low and we still had a long way to go. Panic began to settle in, but I reminded myself that survivors are the ones that don’t panic. I watched Brother’s gait. He was wobbling. His face was red and when he spoke, it was in a whisper. I felt tears welling up in my eyes. I knew he was dehydrated and that help was very far away. I began to pray.

We trudged along silently not expending the extra energy on words. I thought I heard something on the beach and I turned to look around. There was a white truck driving on the beach! The truck drove up next to us. The driver asked, “Are you okay?” We talked with them a moment. I knew this was a miracle: A.) because we had not seen a person since Plum Orchard. B.) There are very few vehicles on the island, save the handful of residents and park rangers. Btw, the “roads” here are just wide sandy trails. C.) It came at the feeling of deepest hopelessness. These men had been working on the north end of the island and were heading for “civilization” (what little exists) to the south end. They offered us a ride on the tailgate to our trail head. They drove us approximately 3 miles to the Duck House Trail. From there we climbed the giant sand dunes and walked 2 more miles to camp. We thanked them over and over. We offered them money. I had $80 in my backpack and would have gladly handed every cent of it over to them. But they refused to take any money. I was moved to tears by this experience. I pray with all my heart that they will receive a miracle like this in their direst need.

On the Duck House Trail, I continue to watch Brother’s wobbly gait. About ¾ mile down the trail, he stops and informs me that he thinks he is going to pass out. I tell him to sit down and give him the last of my water. He refuses at first to drink the last of my water. I insisted telling him that I did not feel like I was about to pass out. We had a little over a mile back to camp where we had fresh water waiting and I felt fine, just exhausted. We stopped at the stinky sulfur spring and collected water in our empty bottles to treat back at camp. We wanted to make sure we had extra for the hike back to the Sea Camp Dock for the ferry the following day. We wiped off to cool down in the spring. The smell luckily went away and did not leave our skin smelly. I felt fresher. We made it to camp shortly after that. It was nearly dusk. I immediately drank a bottle of fresh water and lay down on my sleeping bag. I was asleep in less than 3 minutes. That was the best nap I ever had in my life.

Later we woke up and treated the water we collected. The bad smell was almost completely gone after treatment. It tasted like the water we drink on vacation in Florida. We complained about the Tampa’s water while we vacationed there in the past, but that evening it tasted like heaven. Funny how perspective changes. Brother tended to the many blisters on his foot. It was a bloody mess, no joke. I had one small blister where my sock rubbed the ball of my foot. I felt so sorry for him. We ate and collapsed again. We would be waking up early to backpack out.

Day 3:
We woke up very early and packed everything up except the tent. Our alarm had gone off at 4:00 instead of 5:00 a.m. Damn it! At least we had time for a little nap before it became light. I woke brother up later to inform him it was twilight and we finished the rest of our packing. It was just light enough to see the trails when we began the hike.

We made it back in just over 2 hours! We really booked it! I felt bad because I took the lead and hiked at a rapid pace making sure I was not to miss the 10:15 ferry. In my hurry, I had forgotten poor Brother wobbling along on those blisters of his. I slowed my pace and let him lead so he would not feel rushed. We made it to the Sea Camp Dock at 9:20!

The ferry ride was sweet. I leaned back and closed my eyes in the sun and thought about the trip. I was so proud of myself. I was tired, but still feeling good enough to do more. I had walked the entire length of the navigatable portions of Cumberland Island. If I had more time I would have liked to walked to Dungeness Ruins, the cemetery, and by the old rusting cars once owned by the Carnegies. But I had already done that years ago. I’ll be coming back to the island again. Now you can rent bikes there. Next time I'll rent a bike and I’ll ride back up to Plum Orchard and ride around the south end of the island’s ruins and ride the beach with my hair in the wind same as the wild horses’ manes blow wildly as they gallop the beaches. For now, I am proud to know that I have accomplished much and took some nice photos of the beautiful weekend. As far as this being the true test of my Hotness Plan…I don’t know if I look hot, but I feel hot. I am capable of doing much more physically than before and I feel hotter for that.

When the ferry landed in St. Marys at 11:00, I felt like a new woman. I knew food, Gatorade, and a hot shower were not far away!


Tomorrow I am driving up through Virginia around Mt. Rogers (Va.'s highest peak) with my mom. I have been inspired by the wild horses and hear that the Mount Rogers area is full of wild ponies. We will be back by Saturday. Then I plan on being a slug until I must get up and go back to work Monday.


Beginning our hike down the Parallel Trail, Brother pauses a moment for a photo.







Here's me carrying my pack which is almost half my size.








Armadillo rooting in the ground.





Here I am just after reaching our campsite. No shower. No make up. No boyfriend. No wonder!!!!







Giant sand dunes line the beaches of Cumberland Island. I have actually hiked to the top of one to get this picture.









Pretty colorful shells are all over the beaches.





The beach was covered in hundreds of birds this evening.










Dinner time at the campsite!










Beautiful Plum Orchard Mansion.







Here's one of the wild horses walking the grounds of the mansion.







I'm on the front porch welcoming everyone to my humble home. haha.






Here's that blasted church I nearly died to see. Those blasted Kennedy's probably got a limo ride there!!! Ughhhh!








Wild horses among the dunes.







A refreshing moment for my tired feet.

21 comments:

Merlot said...

Not sure how i found this blog....lol! Anyway!

Love the Armadillo! Most exotic thing we get here in Northamptonshire, UK is the odd sparrow...lol!

tsduff said...

What a fabulous account you have written of your adventure! I didn't even know where Cumberland Island was, but when I saw the saw palmettos all over I knew it looked like somewhere near Florida :-D I don't care for all that scrubby stuff growing thickly at ground level. I prefer open ground where I can get a grip on a landmark of some kind without climbing a tree. The mossy trees are very cool though. Wow, what a trooper your Bro was... I commend him on his grit in trying to keep up with you ;-) I saw my first armadillo at Cape Canaveral last year. Funny little guys snuffling around at the side of the road. Nice pictures. Ah, to walk about in the warm sun, no sweater, seeing birds on the beach - sounds like heaven.

Scott said...

Looks like a great trip. Too bad about the dehydration that can be scary. Glad you guys made it out okay. Neat wild animals that you saw.

Scott

SS said...

Well, I'm glad you had a good trip but I do think you're crazy! I liking hiking and all that but I better be coming back to a soft bed and a warm shower at night =)

Anyway, welcome back and best wishes on trip #2!

Outdoorsy Girl said...

Jono...Is the Odd Sparrow, really odd-looking?

Terry...The scrubby stuff is beautiful but made me very paranoid about snakes.Good guess about its proximity to Florida! We weaved in and out of the Ga/Fl border traveling the St. Marys River to the island. And yes, the sunny beach was heavenly!

Scott...Dehydration was a scary thing to witness. It happened to me once before but it was worse seeing it happen to my brother. But we did see some cool animals!

SS...Honestly, my favorites are day hikes where I can be sweaty and nasty and then pig out, get a nice shower, and crawl into my own bed. But there is something exciting and fun about backpacking with no one around for miles. I always learn so much, have a blast, and then appreciate all the luxuries I have in life when I return!

yrautca said...

First up, glad you are back. Of course you were missed.
Second, the pics are very nice. It sounds like quite an adventure. Seems like bro wasnt completely ready for it. Is he younger than you?
I would have been freaked out hitching a hike from some random guys in a pickup. I have seen too many gory movies for that. If you guys had fun in the end then its all ok. That church does look dinky. So now you are headed to VA? You are having too much fun out there, OG!!!

Take care!

Keshi said...

Adventurous girl u r!

Keshi.

Outdoorsy Girl said...

Yrautca...Yes, my brother is 4 years younger than me. And he couldn't keep up with a chick...and an OLD one at that! hahaha. Nah, he was actually more the trooper than me being able to carry on despite dehydration and bloody feet.

I would never ride with anyone unknown in any other circumstances, but considering the way my brother was looking, I thought it was best to take that chance. (Though some really scary movies do begin that way!)

All in all, we had a great time. I learned. I lived. I loved it.

yrautca said...

Thats cool OG. I hope your bro doesnt read this blog or his male ego may get bruised. If like ferry rides too and we have plenty of them here in WA.

Outdoorsy Girl said...

That's cool, Yrautca. I am hoping to maybe ride one this summer! I don't think you know just how happy I would be to stay in Seattle for at least a month! You have all of those wonderful National Parks close by and I want to see every one of them!

Keshi...I try to be adventurous, but usually not this risky. haha.

yrautca said...

Coolness. SS also wanted to visit Seattle. Maybe we can plan something. Isnt it like REALLY late there? You insomniac, you!

Outdoorsy Girl said...

Yes, I am SUCH an insomniac.If I could change one thing about myself it would be that.

A Seattle trip would be very cool. I am about 80% sure that I will be coming sometime this summer. You'll have to let me know the best places to check out in the city. It looks very nice there. It will sort of be my "base" for checking out Olympic National Park. I would LOVE to see the starfish clinging to the rocks in the tide pools. You are so lucky. You could be there tomorrow if you wanted to be. (Well, and if you didn't have to work!) ;)

yrautca said...

I will have to figure out what the best places are before I tell you. That falls I went to was pretty cool. Pics are on my blog. Teachers get tons of time off, dont they.

Outdoorsy Girl said...

Yeah, I guess we do get a bit of time off. If you had to deal with the demon spawn that I am dealing with this year, you'd need time off, too.

Is that where those pics were taken? It was so beautiful. Where exactly did you take the pics and what is the name of the falls?

yrautca said...

Its called Snolquamie falls. Its about 20 miles west of seattle. beautiful place. if you continue on the road you will hit the mountains. i didnt have the time or the right vehicle but i intend to rent a jeep and go this summer when the climb is not too snowy.

Outdoorsy Girl said...

You are so lucky. I'm so jealous!

Hey, all this writing back and forth...we need a message board! haha.

Maybe I'll just email you one day so I won't take up so much space on your blog posting my stories! haha.

yrautca said...

my email address is on profile. check it out.

Outdoorsy Girl said...

I'll definitely send you an email when I get back this weekend. Time for some sleep now. Talk to you soon.

Take care...

Thomas J Wolfenden said...

Sounds like you both had a great time in spite of the dehydration and blisters... The photos make me want to take the trip myself!

Lindsey said...

All in all I think that was really cool! And I absolutely love the pictures...

I'm jealous.

Anonymous said...

Old? LOL!! Don't let her fool you, she's only 21. ;-)

That church really is dinky looking!! What a run down heap. Other than that, the pics look great and it sounds like you had a blast.