Monday, April 10, 2006

I forgot to brag on myself!

It occurred to me that I forgot to mention one of my biggest accomplishments of the C. Island backpacking trip...

I faced my greatest fear. I did, indeed, against my deepest hope, see a snake on the island.

I felt that old familiar panic beginning to rise from my chest up to my throat, threatening to cut off my oxygen supply. Again, I felt that familiar vertigo buzzing around in my head and felt tears beginning to form in my eyes. I felt my muscles tense up and threaten to leave me in that catatonic state of panic, wishing to run, yet unable to move. The familiar nausea swept through my body. My mouth contorted into the familiar position that it does just before that familiar high-pitched scream escapes it....But that scream never came. And for the first time EVER in my life, I did not freeze, but continued to walk.

I could not believe it! It hardly slowed me down.

Okay! Okay! So the snake was extremely tiny. It looked like a fallen slither of palm leaf. I didn't quite realize what it was until I was just upon it. But damn it, it still counts! It was still a vile, wretched serpent, no matter the size and despite the fact that my mind barely had time to process what it was I was seeing until I was nearly past it already. It still counts!

That's one small step for overcoming phobias; one giant leap for Outdoorsy Girl's bravery.

12 comments:

yrautca said...

Sorry to break it to ya but that was an earthworm. You are back to square one o' brave one.

Thomas J Wolfenden said...

A .38 Spl revolver with snake-shot would alleviate some of the fears...

Besides, most snakes in NA are pretty good eats.

But in all seriousness, I know what it's like to try to overcome some of those deep seated fears. A parachute 'mishap' when I was in the army did it for me with hights. I get vertigo standing on a step-stool now. This, from a guy before he was 20 had over 100 jumps under his belt, was HALO & HAHO Qualified, Air Assault Qual'd...

I'm slowly but surely getting over it. It's taken some work and time, but it's happening.

Scott said...

Good job on the snake... exposure to these things always seems to help.

Cheers,

Scott

SS said...

Don't listen to yrautca -- there are LOTS of small snakes like that. I see at least one a day. They may be little but they are still snakes. Goog for you for facing your fears!

Anonymous said...

So after you beat this worm, are you going to move on to pillbugs?

Outdoorsy Girl said...

Y...You can't steal my thunder, buddy! I know better...It was definitely a nastly little green snake.

RT...Can you hook me up with one of those revolvers? If I can't live 'em I can destroy 'em.

Scott and SS...Thanks for your support! SS, you are my hero facing those scaly demons on a daily basis! You rock!

SV...I think you are merely using sarcasm as way to cover up your disappointment that when we were out for dinner tonight, you didn't get to spend any alone time with me. That and I forgot to bring you your souvenir thimble again. haha. And what are you doing actually READING my post? I thought you only look at my pictures...Busted! I KNEW you loved me all along!

Keshi said...

Well done babez! U overcame one phobia of ur's to a certain extent.

I fear snakes hell of alot than u my dear...hehe...if I see a snake on TV I panic..so u see what I mean :(

but the most shocking thing is that once when I was abt 8yrs, I stepped on one big fat snakester and still got away without dying instantly out of fear or by getting bitten by it.

Keshi.

Thomas J Wolfenden said...

My I reccomend a Smith & Wesson Model 10 .38 Spl.

Fairly cheap, easy to use and deadly on slithery things!

tsduff said...

My .357 Ruger would take care of that... but I NEVER hurt a snake. I kind of like the little guys actually. Now if it was a roach, where's my pistol?

Outdoorsy Girl said...

Keshi...The second Harry Potter movie's snake scene even scared me a little! (And it wasn't even convincing!)

RT...Death to the slithery things would make this world a happier place.

Terry...Not a big fan of roaches either. But I would rather sleep in a bed of roaches than glimpse a snake! yikes!

tsduff said...

Oh, man alive, the thought makes me sick with nausea - my feet go up on the chair when I imagine a bed of roaches!!!! Give me snakes or lizards ANY DAY OF THE WEEK! Funny, isn't it, how one man's (or woman's) entertainment is fodder for another's nightmare...!

Anonymous said...

I'm proud of you for facing your snake fears, even if it was an oversized worm. Go Outdoorsy Girl!!