Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Rain

It's been a rainy two days. We all become aggravated with rainy weather putting a damper on our moods and crashing our plans. One too many camping trips have been washed out or one too many hikes cut short. Picnics in the park have been washed out. Sometimes it is a fight just to keep awake and alert on a rainy day. And last, but definitely not least, it seems people forget how to drive when it rains. Idiots.

But sometimes I enjoy the rain. I like it because it quiets down all the commotion of the world. It calms me sometimes when I have let myself become overstressed. One of my favorite things to do is grab a good read and hop into bed and listen to the rain as it lulls me to sleep. And sometimes I like it when it rains on one of my bad days, sad days, or plain blah days. I feel like the world is sympathizing with my feelings and weeping right along with me.

Today is one of those days. I don't mind the rain today. I'm not sad, upset, and nothing terrible happened today. I just feel blah. Maybe I'm feeling that way because it is raining, but I prefer to think that it is raining because I am feeling blah. :)

I wrote this for just such an occasion...

Rain

From above spills the rain
It tenderly taps my window pane
Some wish it away, but it's all in vain

It looks like the rain is here to stay
It lingers around for another day
To wash the world's transgressions away

I welcome the rain, the teardrops of the sky
Releasing for me what I am feeling inside
And I listen along to its subtle, faint cry

The rain feels so lonely; not a soul to be seen
Only empty sidewalks glistening in watery sheen
Rendering the world silent until sun casts its gleam

But I find it beautiful, if not a touch gray
The rain granting me a serene and peaceful day
Though the world is sleepy, I rather like it this way

The sleepy day turns to a nighttime sky
The rhythmic dripping refusing to die
And the rain sings me to sleep like a gentle lullaby

6 comments:

Keshi said...

Beautiful dreamy post...


**I feel like the world is sympathizing with my feelings and weeping right along with me

sometimes when it rains, I feel it's a blessing from Heavens above...sometimes I feel it's crying along with me...


**The rain feels so lonely; not a soul to be seen

keep it company... :)

Lovely verse...

Keshi.

luvwannabefree25 said...

Miss Snore lady.... ;)

I love the rain! I'm serious. My favorite time to hear it rain is at night time... I can lay in bed and listen all night long... I love storms too.. hey.. come to think of it.. why are you complaining? Have you ever been on a camping trip and had it rain on the tent? ... oh my gosh... how awesome... I can't think of a better way to spend a night with someone you love than to cuddle up in a sleeping bag.. and listen to it rain... yum...

going back to bed... sleeping bag is gettin' cold..

yrautca said...

Hmmm OG, another nice poem.

Rain, rain, rain. I know a thing or two about it. I live in the Puget Sound after all. It doesnt rain like it does in Atlanta. It drizzles. Somedays its just heavy cloud and fog. Some suffer from sunlight deficiency. My last extended stay in Atlanta came in the Spring and early Summer of 2004, when I was staying with my parents looking for a job. We had a thunderstorm every single afternoon. It would rain and thunder and then just like that the sky would clear and it would get very humid, as if we had all been put into an oven.

When I moved here in 2004, I enjoyed the drizzle. Its been almost 2 years now and I havent even bought an umbrella. I love to walk in the drizzle. I sometimes go running in it. Thats my simple pleasure. To feel it on me, on my face and arms and hands, to not worry about my clothes and shoes. I like this rain better than Atlanta downpour. Someday I miss the sunlight. I miss sweating in the sun. I used to go running in Atlanta heat and I had to use sunblock. This sun is not that intense, which is not bad. But sometimes you miss the intensity. Spring and summer times are pleasant here and sun does come out. Its only mild so you can actually go out without getting uncomfortable. My first week here I was going to work and I saw a golden disk in the sky. It was beautiful. I thought it was the moon. It was the size of a dime and I could stare at it as long as I wanted. Then as I took a right turn, the golden disk became the sun. I was in awe. See the thin clouds here make the sun appear as a disk. You can look at it without damaging your eyes. It was very mystical.

Alright then. I hope the rain doesnt bring you down too much :)

Thomas J Wolfenden said...

I love to lay awake at night and listen to a thunderstorm roll in...

Anonymous said...

The rain is my friend as it ushers in the Darkness which is all encompassing. The Darkness...yes, it is quite soothing, it tells me secrets.........

Scott said...

Love the poem... too bad that the camping trips have been washed out. I had one snowed out earlier this year so I know how you feel.

Scott