Tuesday, May 30, 2006

The Cherohala Skyway


On Sunday, I took a scenic drive with my family on the Cherohala Skyway which connects Robbinsville, NC to Tellico Plains, TN. The Cherohala takes it name from combining the names of the Cherokee National Forest of TN (which surrounds the Great Smokey Mountains) and the Nantahala National Forest of NC. (Nantahala is the Cherokee word meaning “Land of the Midday Sun” and while walking under its shady canopy of thick trees, it’s not hard to understand how the Cherokee named it.)

Having driven along both the Blue Ridge Parkway and Shenandoah’s Skyline Drive, I was doubtful that this drive along the Cherohala could be that spectacular. I was wrong! The entire drive allowed open views of the mountain ranges on at least one side. In a few places the view opens on both sides so that you are driving along the spine of the mountain ridge, surrounded by other endless ranges.

On the North Carolina end of the parkway is the Joyce Kilmer Memorial Forest. It is an old growth sanctuary. Some of the largest trees east of the Mississippi River thrive here. It was so shady and beautiful. Ferns, mushrooms, and mosses grew everywhere. I took the short 2 mile hike through the trees. I went alone since it seemed everyone in my family was recovering from illness. I felt very guilty having everyone wait on me, but I had to see these trees! I said that I would only go ¾ mile to the beginning of the large tree groves. But I was totally sucked in and did the whole two miles. It was so beautiful that I wanted to see what was around the next bend in the trail. I wanted to see if the next big tree was even bigger than the last. There were a couple of trees that were large enough to remind me of the California Redwoods. I actually ran the whole trail so that my family wouldn’t have to wait too long on me. I stopped only to take pictures. I can’t believe that I actually ran it! I’m a hiker, but I’m no runner…or so I thought.

Joyce Kilmer, whose name is memorialized in the forest wrote these words in a poem:

I think that I shall never see
A poem lovely as a tree
A tree whose hungry mouth is prest
Against the earth's sweet flowing breast;
A tree that looks at God all day,
And lifts her leafy arms to pray;
A tree that may in Summer wear
A nest of Robins in her hair;
Upon whose bosom snow has lain;
Who intimately lives with rain.
Poems are made by fools like me,
But only God can make a tree.


Near the parkway’s terminus on the Tennessee side, a side road leads to the very large and pretty Bald River Falls. The falls tumbled about 100ft. into a deep pool before rushing down the river over cascades and rapids that numerous kayakers and canoeists were running. I also saw several trout fisherman along the river. This was quite a popular place! Just take a look at the pictures and you can see why!


View from the Cherohala.








Trail running through the Memorial Forest. It's definitely "Nantahala" here.








Large trunk of a Poplar.









Little ol' me standing between some big ol' trees.









Bald River Falls.









These are my new Merrell hiking boots that I bought with the R.E.I. gift card that my friends chipped in to buy me as a going away gift. If it weren't for them, I'd be wearing my old boots with worn tread. Thanks guys!




After trying out my new boots on their first hike of many more to come, I rest my boots at the bottom of the falls.









This was a great drive with many hiking, camping, kayaking, fishing opportunites along the way. If you ever get to take the drive, just beware of the crazy motorcylists along the road. There were many that seemed to think they owned the road...despite the fact that we had the larger vehicle!

10 comments:

Tai said...

Well look at you runnin' around all over the place!

Great pics!

You know...I was thinking about you last weekend. My mom and I ran into some bears (a mama and two cubs) and I wondered if you were somehow in the vicinity given how much bears like you! I took a few pics that I posted!

Anonymous said...

i was promised leg shots! where are they?

Keshi said...

excellent pics!

**Poems are made by fools like me,
But only God can make a tree.

Spot on girl!

Keshi.

yrautca said...

Nice pictures. A scenic drive. I went on a long drive myself this past weekend. Started toward Canada but didt actually cross the border. I will be visiting my brother in W.Va.

Scott said...

Looks like a great drive. The scenery is fantastic.

I am a big fan of those huge trees.

Scott

Anonymous said...

You got some great legs!

SS said...

So, while you are gone -- Will there be blogging? Will you be computer-free all summer?

Anonymous said...

I'm glad to see that you're putting those boots to good use! Already getting them broken in before the Big Adventure.

tsduff said...

Ah - I've never been to NC or Tennessee - but looking at your gorgeous pictures makes me more inclined! So beautiful! Say, I'm about to purchase new boots for Iceland - you know what they say about getting new boots and not wearing them in before the trip leads to blisters. Any problems with yours?

The Grunt said...

I see your legs! This "Cherry Cola" skyway is someting that I need to experience someday. Thanks for sharing this. I should be resting, but dammit, I've got blogs to read!