Sunday, May 07, 2006

Bear Magic, Without the Proof

I realized a couple of years ago that I am a bear magnet. I run into them in the wild. Some people think that’s really scary, but I think it’s cool. I defend the bear’s reputation. The bear is painted as a blood-thirsty man-killer, but I think that they are the “good guys” and won’t attack you unless first provoked or extremely hungry. Besides, they prefer to eat berries anyway! I know there is potential danger with them as well as with any wild animals, but I don’t ever approach them. I give them space. I respect them and therefore, I’m not the least bit afraid of them. I love bears.

My first bear sighting (other than the zoo) was about 10 years or so ago. It was from my car near Helen, Ga. and the bear was walking along the roadside. I don’t think that I can really count that as a true bear encounter, but it was still very cool.

My first true encounter occurred in Shenandoah National Park, Virginia. A mother bear and her three cubs crossed the hiking trail just ahead of me. It was surprising because this was one of the more popular trails and there were several hikers on the trail. I just didn’t expect this large, black bear to dart across the trail in this peopled area with three furry cubs trailing quickly behind her. Bears, especially Black Bears, are shy and try to avoid people. But there she was with her family, only feet away from me.

A couple of people on the trail that saw her freaked out and ran off frantically. I was frantically digging around in my pack for my camera and zoom lens. By the time I was ready, the bear family was out of good-shot range. It was one of those cases that you can see with your eyes, but not really with the camera. They had crossed the stream alongside the trail and made their way into this clearing in the woods where there were taller grasses. Mama Bear was pawing away at the ground, foraging for food while the cubs scrambled across a downed log and playfully chased one another. The bears hardly paid me any attention. Mama looked my way occasionally and then right back to her grazing and foraging. It was amazing to watch. I was so into watching them that I hadn’t even noticed the 3 other people who had now joined the viewing. It was a great show even if all I have to show of that experience is a few pictures of trees and grass with an out-of-focus, vaguely bear-shaped figure (hard to tell for sure since trees are partially obscuring it) in the pictures.

My second encounter took place in Wyoming at Grand Teton National Park.
Best Friend and I hiked around Jenny Lake to Hidden Cascade and up to Inspiration Point and back. Then we hiked around the moose ponds through wildflower meadows and along the range until we reached car again.

Jenny Lake is a gorgeous glacial lake of most vibrant blue-green yet holding water so clear that I could see the stones on its floor. Everything reflected in this giant mirror…trees, clouds, the mountains. The first of our hike took us along the shoreline of this amazing lake. We started out early, just after daybreak, in hopes of viewing wildlife and having a deserted trail. Both our wishes were met as just the two of us walked along the trail in silence listening to the earth wake up around us. We had rounded a corner when something donned in light brown fur stirred precariously close to us in the wood by the lake and began to scurry away. Then it was silent… Golden brown fur, rounded ears, hump on its neck…We just had a run-in with a young Grizzly! I’ll never forget how Best Friend stepped behind me, her hand on my shoulder as if telling Mr. Bear, “Eat her, not me!” I couldn’t help but laugh. (Later, she rationalized her actions by saying it was because she had never seen a bear in the wild before and she knew that I had.) That bear was quick! We stood around for a few moments before moving forward, hoping to see him again. No luck. Disappointed, I put my camera back into my pack. I was not happy about another lost bear shot. On the other hand, Best Friend was ecstatic with her first bear encounter and told everyone she met on the trail later that day that she saw a bear. She told me she hoped we saw another one.

So about two weeks later, while day-tripping and hiking through Yellowstone, we found ourselves camping right back in the same place at Grand Teton and planning to hike the same trail early in the morning. I tell Best Friend that I think we’re going to see one. She says that she thinks so, too. Encounter Number Three happened in almost the exact same place we had the Grizzly encounter.

We had just blindly rounded a bend in the trail and came literally face-to-face with a Black Bear with two cubs sitting right in the middle of the trail. The bear startled us and we startled her. The babies ran off in the woods toward the lake and climbed a tree. We were only 15 or 20 feet away from her. In fact, we came too close to the bear. She growled at us and looked mighty agitated. She looked across the trail toward higher grounds and then back toward the direction her cubs ran off. We backed away from her slowly. I am fidgeting around again for my camera. As the bear growled, Best Friend shook her head and said, “No!” Despite our dangerous proximity to the bear, I laugh at Best Friend's attempt to talk to the bear. The bear decides to run off toward her cubs. Then I began to yell, “No!” And then, “No! Come back!...Please?” Dammit! No picture again!

I returned to Georgia after weeks of fun and adventure with tons of photos of waterfalls, desert landscapes, tall mountains, and all kinds of animals…minus bears. It took me a while to readjust to my less-open, highly vegetated, extremely tree-ish environment here and when I did, I realized that I had missed my Blue Ridge Mountains terribly. I filled my hydration pack full of cold water and placed it in my backpack and drove up to my mountains. Oh how green they were! And so full of streams! I had to stop and hike at one of my favorite trails near Helen. It’s only 5 miles long and fairly easy. But it travels along Dodd Creek and Dukes Creek the entire time, passing by numerous cool waterfalls and rapids. I had not been hiking for very long when something caught my attention off the trail to my right. I recognized that black furry shape in an instant. I was so excited. Encounter Number Four was happening! I reached into my pack searching for the camera that I had forgotten to put in it. Noooooooo! Then she slipped away into the forest ferns and hemlocks.

I called Best Friend after I left the trail.

“You see more bears than anyone I know!” she said.

“Yeah, but you’d never know it by the photos would you?” I sarcastically retorted.

“No, but at least you get to see them! I had never seen one until you were with me and we saw them twice! You’re a bear magnet!”

With restored hope, I replied, “Yeah. I think bears must like me. I think I have Bear Magic.”

One of my other friends claims to have Target Magic because every time she goes shopping at Target she gets front row parking. Every time. I have seen this. So if she can have Target Magic, then I can have Bear Magic! (Even if I have no photographic proof!)

But I’m bound to see another bear. And the next time the magic kicks in, I’ll have a camera in hand!

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

They must be attracted to your wonderful smell. After all, I do love it which is why I'm always hugging ya!

Jim said...

u r unbearable
Bears smell

Tai said...

'Bear magnet'! I'm so envious...don't worry, you'll get a picture sooner or later...I'm surprised they don't pose for you!

Scott said...

I have had a few bear encounters myself. Grizzlies in the Yukon... probably saw about a dozen adults in a 15 day trip. I am with you about that fact that they get a bad rap. We are after all guests in their home.

Hopefully you get some pics next time.

Scott

The Grunt said...

Wow, as much as I've been in the woods, I've never encountered a bear. Mountain lion: check.
Psycho cow moose with calf: Check. Those moose are super dangerous, too.
Bigfoot: It turned out to be my brother.

Bears: zero, zip, nothing, nada.

Keshi said...

mebbe cos ur a very for-bear-ing girl when it comes to such sweet animals ;-)

Keshi.

Thomas J Wolfenden said...

My brother and I had a 20 acre deer camp in Tioga county PA just south of the NY state line. It was big bear country.

Just yards from the porch on our cabin was a huge blackberry thicket. One moring during spring turkey seaso I woke early and went to use the facilities...

This was NOT a modern camp. The facilities were about 30 yards from the cabin. OK in summer, sucked in winter.

Anyway, I step out on the porch and there was this black bear sitting on his butt eating blackberries. WE looked at each other, and then he went back to his breakfast.

Since he was between me and the facilities, I decided to give him a little space and did the guy thing... Just used the end of the porch.

We'd see him often when we were there, and we both gave each other space. It was pretty neat.

We've got bears around here too, and I've heard told that they'll come right into town, but in the year and a half I've been here I haven't seen one yet. Maybe when I get up to the new job I'll see a few.

Anonymous said...

Nope, never seen one...even when hiking with you!! I must be a bear repellant and my ability to repel them nullifies your ability to attract them. :-P

Now Target magic I have. Front row parking every time!!

SS said...

That is so cool. Hubby and I went on a whole-day "bear scouting" excursion while in Alaska last year and we didn't see a darn thing (well, no bears anyway). Hubby nearly threw a hissy fit! The tour guides kept saying "This has never happened before. We ALWAYS see bears here." We are bad luck charms when it comes to nature. We need to bring you along with us next time!

Lindsey said...

Better you than me my friend.

I wonder if it's true that you're supposed to drop and act dead.

yrautca said...

Hey I saw that documentary on discovery chanel about some guy who wanted to be family with bears and then the bears attacked him and ripped his head off and they caught it on a voice recorder. Yummy!

Its amazing that you run into bears and never pee your pants. You need to pee your pants at least. Its not healthy otherwise ;)

Rose said...

Wow!!! Those were quite some encounters...

Sometimes it nice to experience the magic and not waste time in trying to capture the moment in a photograph..

Hope u find ur bear again soon

:)

..Me

Tripchick said...

I don't belive I tried to feed you to the bear, And the 2nd time I was telling it no becuase I didn't want it to eat you. But I was in front of you that time... Haha Hey I saw a bear :)