Tuesday, August 28, 2007

A joyous, somber occasion

This weekend, we mourned the passing of my friend and roomate's youth as she laid to rest forever her 20s. Welcome to your (gasp!) 30's, Red!

The guests showed funeral style, wearing all black. I'd post my picture, but I was so tired of being called "goth Barbie" that I decided not to post that shot. (Beauty tip for all the girlies out there: If you happen to be a smiley-faced blondie such as myself and wear all black with goth make up, don't expect to be taken seriously. That look just doesn't work for us. I will totally be wearing a black wig for Halloween.)

Here's a look at some of our morbid decor. Notice the vulture on the shelf staring down the food table. Actually, I think he was staring down all of us old people.




I've heard that the mind and eye sight are the first thing to go with old age. Who would expect to find them in the bloody punch bowl, though?





The cake was awesomely designed by Ash. I can't tell you how refreshing I find it to see zombies and cemeteries outside of Halloween.
Here's a close up of the tombstone which reads, Here Lies Red's Youth. I think the zombie breaking out of the grave accurately represents her unwillingness to let go of her youth without a fight.
She wanted a cake that read, "Return of the Living 29". But that was just way too long.

This party was all in good fun. Some of us have a hard time dealing with hitting the big 3-0, but Red was mostly in good spirits and making jokes about her trip down hill to eventually meet the Grim Reaper with the rest of us. My friend, Sexy Suburbanite, also hit this milestone over the weekend and she is celebrating entering this decade of her life. I think we should all view the different phases of life this way.
Looking back, my 30th birthday was not a happy occasion. I did not handle it well at all. I didn't want to talk to anyone, see anyone, or be even in the same vicinity as anyone. The problem with that was that I turned 30 on Thanksgiving Day. It was impossible to avoid people on this stinking holiday so I choked back tears most of the day. I didn't feel old. I felt the same way I did the night before when it was 11:45 and I was still technically 29 and closing my eyes tight so that I would not see the clock strike midnight. It wasn't the growing older aspect that bothered me, but the lack of accomplished goals that I had set to reach by this age. Clearly, I couldn't live up to my own standards. My Thanksgiving prayers sounded something much like this: "Dear God, on this Thanksgiving Day, I have no family of my own and no real career. I don't want to see anyone today, but since you made my birthday fall on Thanksgiving, I have to see EVERYBODY. So uh, yeah, thanks for nothing."
Let me just say that I am SO happy that I don't feel that way any more. My time after hitting thirty has been nothing but fun. If I had it to do all over again, I would hit the big 3-0 with a smile on my face just the way Red and Sexy Suburbanite did.

8 comments:

yrautca said...

I dont hve many good memories from my 20s. Now that I am in my 30s, life is a lot better.

For one, I think I really am a lot more mature now and can appreciate the finer things in life a lot more.

Happy birthday to Red.

SS said...

How funny!

Well, I did have one "old" moment this weekend. After sleeping on the most uncomfortable bed ever on Friday night (i.e. my 30th birthday) I awoke on Saturday morning with my back aching. I think the first words out of my mouth were "Ugh, my back!" followed quickly by "OMG, I really am 30 now!" Ha ha! But, it was all in good fun. I don't really feel any older... especially since I just got my renewed "I'm 30" driver's license in the mail and it still has my young suburbanite photo from September 2000 on it ;)

Anonymous said...

I never feel old because I date high school chicks. That way I keep getting older and they stay the same age. You should try it.

Hey were is the hot pics of me at the party.

Outdoorsy Girl said...

Yrautca...Very true. I feel the same.

SS...Did you groan when you got out of bed? If not, wait until next year when you are "in your 30s" and not just 30. LOL! ;) My driver's license has a young OG on it, but I was a lot fatter then, so I sort of prefer the old OG. LOL!

E...I have the hot pics of you on my computer. They are in my private files. ;)

tsduff said...

What are friends for? GREAT post - great party idea, but you know, 30 ain't so bad, I'm just sayin... I think your party for Red was an outstanding way to usher in the new order in her life.

And my birthday has fallen on Thanksgiving more than once. Nice time of year, don't cha think?

Scary Monster said...

Goin down hill ain't all that bad. No more peadaling and huffing and puffing. Take yer feet offa the pedals, extend yer legs and it's wheeeeeeeeeeee! until Ya hit the bottom of the hill.

STOMP.

deepsat said...

bday wishes from me too!!!

Keshi said...

lol at first I thought she died. Im so glad it was only abt hitting 30s :)

Keshi.