Thursday, August 02, 2007

Back home

I'm back from Utah and rather than doing laundry, cleaning up, and completing other important chores, I have been catching up on blogs, reading my email, and seeking forgiveness from my cat who totally snubs me every time I go away on vacation. By the way, thanks to those of you who left me comments on my last post, you rock!

My trip was great, for the most part. I went on some scenic drives up a couple of canyons I had never explored before. On one of these rides, I got out of the vehicle and climbed a short, steep trail to the summit of Bountiful Peak. I did this from a suggestion of a friend and loved the views. While standing at the top I was grateful to my friend for his suggestion. Then on my way down the trail I saw my first Western Diamondback Rattlesnake which shook its nasty rattle at me! I miraculously did not pass out but immediately began to curse my friend and his suggestion. That only lasted until I was swept away by more scenic views. (But he totally had to hear about it!)

We also went to Yellowstone to parts that I had not yet been to. We sort of did a Yellowstone animal safari. I was disappointed that I didn't see any wolves but saw some bison crossing the river (that was cool!), moose, elk, antelope, and as always when it comes to me, bears! I got some pretty good shots of the animals, so I considered this safari a success. Next time, I will see a pack of wolves.

The best part of my trip was seeing and catching up with my friends. There were still a couple that I didn't get to visit and they will be at the top of my list next visit. I did get to spend time with most of my friends though, including the Grunt, who really showed me a great time. We ate good food, took a fun drive through the mountains which lead to some four-wheelin'-yee-haw fun, and topped it off with The Simpsons movie. He's a cool guy, even if I did hold him responsible for my rattlesnake run-in. ;)

My vacation was great right until the very end. I developed this cough and congestion that is driving me (one who rarely catches colds) nuts. I am feeling better now, just a little stuffy nose remaining. But the worst part was not the sickness I had, but that Best Friend's grandma, the beloved lady that I also call my adoptive grandma, became quite ill just before I left. The worst part is her doctor and nurses seem to be uncaring idiots with no bedside manner at all. Anyway, I didn't even get to tell her goodbye yesterday morning before I left. I sat at my plane's gate at the airport blinking back tears, hoping that no one would look me in the eye or else I would cry. The good news is she seems to be doing better today.

Over all, there was way more good than bad happenings on my trip. And, as usual, I have the photos to prove it, so I will be posting them very soon.

12 comments:

The Grunt said...

Well, if Clyde didn't have so many things that needed done on him I could have done more than "yee-haw" for ya. Oh, and my having a certain dreaded disease. But,
I gave you a taste and it looks like it was a goodun. Wish I were healthy enough to have taken you to that hike up Lake Blanch. Maybe in 2008.

Scary Monster said...

Next time iffin you are really lucky, you can witness the Mormon Tabernacle Choir crossing a stream.

A very rare and unusual occurance.

Outdoorsy Girl said...

Grunt...Yeah, it was a goodun. Clyde can still pull off a goodun despite his needed work.

I'll be ready for Lake Blanch in 2008. It will be a great warm up for Ben Lomond...if I can find the trailhead again. ;)

Scary...Now that would be an unusal occurance! I'm imagining beautiful voices singing until they go under the water in the middle of the stream and then all you see are bubbles until they make it to the other side still singing.

tsduff said...

Julie - I think we were in some of the same parts of the country at the same time. Wish I could have spared the time to go north to Yellowstone...

glad you are back safe and sound.

SS said...

Yay! I'm glad you had a good trip =)

yrautca said...

welccome back OG. post pics. what are you talking about? i am always here lurking in the dark ;)

luvwannabefree25 said...

still travelling I see... you are very lucky...

JD ;)

Outdoorsy Girl said...

Terry...It seems you and I have been in the same parts of the world a lot lately! I wonder how long until I paths meet!

SS...Yes! :) And the gold medal winning email is on the way! ;)

Yrautca...Step into the light! :)

JD...Long time, no see! Good to see ya around!

deepsat said...

nice to see you back!! u did have a helluva time!! now post some pics pls!!

;-))

Keshi said...

WB THE girl from Utah! :)

**Then on my way down the trail I saw my first Western Diamondback Rattlesnake which shook its nasty rattle at me

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeks! I'd hv passed out instantly. U r BRAVE!

Keshi.

Outdoorsy Girl said...

Deepsat...I always try to have a helluva time no matter when and where. :)

Keshi...I can't believe that I didn't pass out or have a heart attack! I handled it way better than I ever dreamed in a million years that I would!

yrautca said...

so are you back or not?