Thursday, January 11, 2007

More photos and hockey!

At last, I post more of the promised, nearly two week old pictures from Tucson/Tombstone.

This photo was taken in the Sonoran Desert shortly after sunrise.




You might want to click on this one to enlarge. This was one of my favorite pieces in the Bird Cage Theater. This is a business license for one of Tombstone's popular prostitutes, Sadie Jo. The top line stating that the license "Must be placed in a conspicuous place above bed" cracked me up! It's signed by Deputy Marshall, Wyatt Earp. Come on! If Wyatt thinks it's ok, this must be a cool profession. And I was just thinking of what I want to be when I grow up! You know, I was just thinking about going into business for myself. But I guess I'd have to move to Nevada for a business license like that!
And here's the San Xavier Mission. As you can see, half of it was being restored. That was a little disappointing photo-wise.











Here you can see some of the detail. It was beautiful.











There was even more fine detail inside. The perpective from this photo isn't quite accurate. It is much larger than this in life.











The murals on the walls and ceilings were breathtaking. It is hard to believe that such craftmanship could be so old.








----------------------
So last Friday night, I attended my first hockey game to see the Atlanta Thrashers and LOVED it. I feel as if I brought along a little bit of Arizona with me as the opposing team was the Phoenix Coyotes. This was a game we totally should have won...but didn't. Oh well, we only lost by one point and that was in overtime. Not too bad. I still loved it...even though I didn't even get to see a good fight! What was up with that!?

I went with Germaphobe, her super skinny friend, and a guy friend, T. Now T. was a real hockey fan and helped to fill me in on all the things I needed to know. Except for one thing...He informed me after the game that Wayne Gretzky is the Coyotes' coach. Now isn't that something I should have been told? I mean the one hockey figure that I actually know and I didn't even get a picture!

The real treat of the evening (and I mean this in the most sarcastic way possible) was the attendance of the real life Beavis and Butthead and we were lucky enough to sit directly in front of them! These dudes couldn't have been over 16 years old and I couldn't help but wonder just how obnoxious they would be once they were old enough to drink alcohol. Now, I am all for cheering on the home team and yelling insults to the opposition, but did they really have to yell at the top of their lungs while leaning in towards my seat sending their spittle down the back of my neck? Their favorite line (their only one) was yelling at the Coyotes' goalie, Curtis Joseph (apparantly nicknamed Cu Jo), and it went something like this...

(Yelling loudly) "Cuuuu Jo...." (Pumping up the volume even more) "Cuuuuuu Joooooooo" (Now loud enough to burst my eardrum) "CUUUUU JOOOOOOOOOOOO" (Now reaching decibels way beyond the normal pain threshold of hearing) "YOU SUCK!!!!"

After hearing this about 450 times, it wasn't so bad. Or maybe the ringing in my ear now drowned it out. Either way, I quite enjoyed the joke that Beavis told Butthead:

Beavis: "Duuuude. Did I tell you about my hockey team, man?"
Butthead: "No, man. What hockey team, dude?"
Beavis: "Well, they're, like, a gay hockey team from Florida. And I'm gonna name them the Citrus Fruits."
Butthead: "huh-huh-huh. The Citrus Fruits."
Beavis: "Yeah. They're gay. huh-huh-huh."

Inspired by Beavis and Butthead's maturity level, Germaphobe and I sent the giant scoreboard a text message during one of the breaks that said, "T. is with the 3 hottest girls in Atl." T., being totally inspired by our maturity level, stands up to let everyone in Philips Arena know that he was the lucky man with Atlanta's three hottest girls.

Dude, I totally love hockey! It's such an adult game! We even played a round of There's Your Baby Daddy on the way out of the arena.

A packed night at Philips Arena.
Yay Thrashers!







An action shot of what appears to be Cu Jo blocking our attempt to score. Cuuuu Jooooo...You suck!







Looks like disco hockey!

11 comments:

Keshi said...

beautiful pics!

Ur a very lucky girl to have been to all these wonderful places.

Keshi.

yrautca said...

yeah i remember when Thrashers first came to ATL in 1999 I think? i never got into hockey but it was fun going to philips arena.

Anonymous said...

You should some with us to a Gladiators game.

Did you feel the heat of the flames everytime the Thrashers scored?

SS said...

Oh, hockey is my second favorite sport! We used to have a minor league team here in Orlando called the Solar Bears and I would go to their games a few times a month. They were no Red Wings like back home but it was still TONS of fun. But, the Solar Bears are gone now and we have a minor, minor league team called the Orlando Seals (okay, but Orlando doesn't have bears or seals -- unless you count the ones at SeaWorld). I've only seen the Seals once. It's just not the same as the NHL. I could go to Tampa to watch the Lightning play though. I haven't yet but they did win the Stanley Cup a few years ago and I went and got my picture with it (but I was too afraid to kiss it for good luck like you're supposed to. After the Red Wings would win the Stanley Cup people would kiss it and drink from it and then there would be all these reports on the news the next day about people getting sick from it. Anyway, I'm not surprised -- the Stanley Cup has an interesting history. If you're not familiar with it I HIGHLY recommend reading up on it. Interesting stuff).

The Grunt said...

The last hockey game I went to was a Women's hockey game during the 2002 Winter Olympics. I know I will never forget that because it was about the least entertaining hockey game I had ever been to. No fights and hardly any action whatsoever.

I'll have to do further research on these "Houses of ill fame" that you speak of, O-Girl.

deepsat said...

wow!! very nice pics!!!

;-))

Scott said...

Very nice pictures. Glad that you liked the hockey game... i can only get into them if I go and see them live, if not then I just get bored.

Outdoorsy Girl said...

Keshi...Thanks. I feel lucky to experience so much.

Yrautca...Can't remember what year the Thrashers came to town. So what did you do at the arena...go to the tractor pulls and monster truck shows? I knew you were that type of guy. lol.

JM...I actually didn't feel the flames when we scored because I sat at the exact opposite side of the rink.

SS...Looks like another thing we have in common.
I think I'd be afraid to kiss it, too. Ugh. Does sound very interesting, though.

Grunt...I was very disappointed that I saw no real fighting either. Just a little pushing and shoving. Boring.
Are you doing this research for your own benefit or are you helping me set up my career? lol.

Deepsat...Thanks. I am definitely a picture taker!

Scott...Yeah. It's not too entertaining to watch on TV. Plus I never can see the puck!

Tai said...

HEY!!

I like Cujo! He used to play for MY home team, the Vancouver Canucks!

(BTW, LOVE the 'flippin' angry cactus.)

yrautca said...

I think at the arena they had other stuff like puppet shows and circuses etc. Hey I was only a kid in grad school ;) Hardly sophisticated! plus I had no money.

Outdoorsy Girl said...

Tai...Hey! yeah, the fippin' cactus is pretty awesome, but CuJo still sucks, LOL!

Yrautca...Just confess. You love monster trucks. ;)