Friday, December 22, 2006

My Song

It’s no secret to my friends that I am a huge fan of The Police and Sting’s music. But what they really don’t know is which song is my favorite. Ask any of them and they will tell you that it is Don’t Stand so Close to Me and really that’s not too far from the truth. I do love that song passionately and believe that it is one of the sexiest songs ever written, as most people know that feeling of being so attracted to someone that we know is not good for us and being so into this person that we are driven to complete distraction. I have just been allowing everyone to believe that this sexy, cool song is my favorite. But it is more like my second favorite.

In reality my favorite song by Sting is Fields of Gold, which is, by far, wussier than the sexy Don’t Stand so Close to Me. Now I couldn’t let anyone know that I am really a wuss at heart, could I? But it’s true. I can be a wuss.

I believe that every person can find at least one song that they can relate some experience in their life to. This is why I have attached myself to Fields of Gold. This song defines nearly every relationship I have ever had. With the exception of one, none of my relationships ever ended badly. There were no fights. They just ended for some reason or another.

Perhaps it is the very reason that every man I ever dated, sooner or later, has tried to come back into my life. Whereas it is a good feeling to be told that you were the best part of someone else’s life, the story becomes quite old and leaves me wondering. Why can’t you see and appreciate me when you’re with me, when it’s not too late? And what is it that takes you back in the past to the time you were with me? And what makes you forget that everything has changed and that we can’t just pick right up where we left off, ignoring the circumstances surrounding our present lives? What makes you think we can so easily walk hand in hand like before?

You'll remember me when the west wind moves
Upon the fields of barley
You'll forget the sun in his jealous sky
As we walk in fields of gold

Once upon a time, I found you worthy of my trust. I invited you into my life. I gave you my all. We forgot all the destructive outside forces working against us and we reveled in our happiness and love.

So she took her love
For to gaze awhile
Upon the fields of barley
In his arms she fell as her hair came down
Among the fields of gold

Will you stay with me, will you be my love
Among the fields of barley
We'll forget the sun in his jealous sky
As we lie in fields of gold

See the west wind move like a lover so
Upon the fields of barley
Feel her body rise when you kiss her mouth
Among the fields of gold

And though I never claimed to be perfect, I always tried my best to make our relationship work. I always did whatever I could to make you happy. And although rocky times came upon us, it was nothing that we couldn’t have handled.

I never made promises lightly
And there have been some that I've broken
But I swear in the days still left
We'll walk in fields of gold

But somehow and for some reason, we let go anyway. We said our goodbyes. With slowly fading pain in my heart, I move on. Time elapses into years and you’re barely a fond memory in my mind. Our special places, occasions, and memories still live somewhere on another plane, but life goes on and time marches forward.

Many years have passed since those summer days
Among the fields of barley
See the children run as the sun goes down
Among the fields of gold

Then, just as I have accomplished tucking you away into a forgotten place in my mind, something reawakens your memories and you call me. You turn my life upside down. You express your regrets of letting our relationship go. But I think there is no reason to regret finding true love, whether it lasts or not. Many people are not so lucky and you can at least tell them what it was like to walk in fields of gold once upon a time.

You'll remember me when the west wind moves
Upon the fields of barley
You can tell the sun in his jealous sky
When we walked in fields of gold

As for me, I try very hard to close chapters in my life before beginning a new one. As it stands right now, I have closed the very last chapter and I feel good about it. I am now gazing at a fresh, clean slate ready to be filled. And it will be filled one day. For now, I am patiently awaiting someone who will help me write the pages... Someone who will not only walk with me through fields of gold, but will appreciate me while we’re still standing there among the swaying barley and realize that there is no place he’d rather be than in the golden field with me.


Here's the song for anyone who wants to enjoy it without all my ramblings!

It's such a beautiful song.

6 comments:

The Grunt said...

You stayed up way late to write this, and I did as well to write this. Great post. I like the song, too. Sting is cool.

Scott said...

Interesting how things work out in life isn't it? I have been told that I am the best thing that has happened to someone recently and I felt the same way that you did.

Great song, but yeah, a little wussy. j/j

Scott

SS said...

Hmmm... "Don't Stand So Close to Me" is sexy? I mean, having sex with minors is cool? I do like the song, but I'm not sure I would label it as "sexy."

Anywho... I'm missing the love on "Fields of Gold" I guess, but it does have pretty lyrics.

SS said...

Oh, and right, I forgot -- Yeah, people never realize what they have 'til it's gone. People are fools like that. I don't know why it works that way. I guess like everything in life we just start taking things for granted and assume it will always be there. Then one day it's gone and you wonder why...

yrautca said...

I like the lyrics on this song and a few days ago I heard the new version of it on TV in which Sting plays a new instrument.

It is painful when we have buried our past and then somebody calls and all the pain comes back.

Hang in there OG. 'tis the holidays. Enjoy!

Outdoorsy Girl said...

Grunt...yes, I did stay up too late. But you know me!

Scott...Glad someone else knows how I felt. And I'm sure that you were the best thing that has happened to someone.

SS...It wasn't the sex with minors part but the feeling of intense attraction to someone that you can't be with that makes it an intense song. Yeah, I don't know why some people don't know what they have until it's gone. I always appreciate what I have while I have it.

yrautca...It is a nice song, thanks. And actually no one has called in a while so this is not really a thing I am going through at the present moment, but every time I hear this song, it reminds me of my life so I thought I would post it.