Sunday, December 17, 2006

I've been challenged to a race!

When I came home this summer after a 2 month vacation out West filled with long hikes and physical activity, I came home in a condition that I was quite proud of...in shape, well toned, and with much more physical endurance than I left Georgia with. I became re-acquainted with my friends and filled them in on my many tales.

My friend, Super Villain, is the only friend I have around here (until Best Friend moved back to town) that will go hiking with me. We have been on many fun and challenging hikes around here through a canyon, down in a gorge, along the Appalachian Trail, to the summit of a few mountains, and many, many hikes to waterfalls. Of all the hikes we have done, we both agree that the very short walk to the summit of Brasstown Bald from the parking lot is the most butt-kicking 1/2 mile on any trail in Georgia. This short, paved 1/2 mile trail would seem like a joke to most experienced hikers, but that little sucker hurts! The best I have ever done on this trail is making it to the top with only having to stop once.

So anyway, I was telling Super Villain of my strenous, long hikes of the summer when I made it back home. I was bragging, actually. I may have even mentioned being able to kick his ass on a trail or something to that effect. He informed me that he had been working out while I was gone and that we should have a sort of hike-off to settle this score. He mentioned Brasstown Bald. I laughed. Puh-lease! Brasstown Bald compared to what all I hiked this summer? I accepted his challenge quite happily. There was no way I could have lost this race! We talked smack like there was no tomorrow.

But it never happened. Four months later, I was thinking that it was forgotten. Four months later, I was hoping it was forgotten. For four months, I have only been hiking only a handful of times and I am so not in the shape I was in August. For four months, I have dined on burgers from the Vortex and anywhere else my heart/stomach desired. For four months, I have lived like a slug. Then out of the blue, Super Villain reminds me that we never had our race to Brasstown. Damn.

To my horror, I hear my own small voice saying, "I can still totally take you punk! Name the date! I'm there!"

Me and my big mouth. I cannot turn down a good challenge, though. And now that I've been trash talking him, it's definitely going to happen. Why oh why did I let August, my prime ass-kicking time, pass me by? Since, 'tis the season to be busy, we will most likely be racing to the top of Georgia's highest peak the first weekend in January when all the holiday fuss is over. I will announce the date when it is set.

Until then, I will be back to health food and exercising. Any training tips from any runners out there? HELP ME! As it stands today, I would totally get smoked. There would be no living with him if that should happen.

13 comments:

Keshi said...

WOW go for it girl. Drop the Hungry Jack's burger and take it up sweetie. I know u will do it with style.

**I cannot turn down a good challenge, though.

Good on ya! And yeah do keep us posted on this.


Huggggggggggz!
Keshi.

SS said...

Training tips? Yeah, work your ass off until then!

But, seriously, as someone who has gotten herself into trouble WAAAYYYYY too many times with the trash talking I would suggest you put your money where your mouth is. If you think you can do it than work your ass off and get it done. If you really think you'll be humiliated than you should probably reconsider the whole thing -- oh, you know, fake an injury and secretly work out big time until you can take him. He he.

Tai said...

LOL!!!

That is SO like me...haHA!!

Well, I wish you and your brazen self the best of luck!

Anonymous said...

I'll volunteer to wait at the top to greet the winner.

The Grunt said...

LOL, Keshi dropped a Hungry Jacks reference. That's Burger King's alter ego down under.

You will do fine. Try training on the actual trail, if you can, wearing a back pack full of books.

Keshi said...

**That's Burger King's alter ego down under.

haha Grunty I forgot Outdoorsy lives in the US. LOL!

Keshi.

Scott said...

Half a mile? Just do some interval training and you will be fine, oh and make sure you run on some hills. very very important.

Best of luck.

Scott

yrautca said...

Well all the carbs you consumed at the Vortex should come in handy now. And I thought you were in great shape when I saw you. I bet you can beat anybody. Just make sure not to wear your hot boots that day.

deepsat said...

go for it!!! start getting acquainted to the route and give it a few dry runs!!!

all the best!!

;-))

Anonymous said...

How about i give you a 500 yard headstart?

Outdoorsy Girl said...

Keshi...I'm gonna go for it! Dropping ALL burgers! I'll keep ya posted!

SS...Great advice. If I'm not kicking tail in a couple of weeks I will "sprain my ankle". lol.

Tai...Thanks! I'll need it. :)

JM...That would mean you have to make it there first! hahaha. Maybe I should just challenge you! ;)

Grunt...I will have to do that. I'll sneak off to Brasstown on the weekends. haha.

Scott...Thanks. I am actually trying your suggestion now with the intervals.

yrautca...I will wear hiking boots to the top but then slip into my hot boots so I can strike a sexy victory pose. ;) And thanks...If you think I was in shape when I saw you in Oct. then I am pretty much the same now.

Deepsat...Yeah, I will do! I'm still going to need the luck, though!

Super Villain...So you are going to allow me to begin only 380 yds away from the summit while you do the whole 880 yds? Puh-leazzzze! I don't need your generosity to kick your ass. I would at least like to see a little bit of sweat in the picture of me as I reach the summit a good 100 yds ahead of you.

luvwannabefree25 said...

still galavanting around the country huh?... now you are in a bind.. good luck.. I've missed reading your posts... I'm back!

MUOH

JD ;)

Anonymous said...

That's fine, I'll make it up to the top, that'll give you and SV plenty of time to warm up.

Challenge me instead? Oh no, you're not getting out of this that easy. :-P