Sunday, September 10, 2006

I've become one of them!

This morning I woke up to nice weather. It was one of those days where I felt like getting outdoors and escaping the metro Atlanta area. It was one of those days perfect for a spur of the moment trip to the mountains. I slid on a baseball cap and my hiking shoes and headed north for a day outdoors.

It was too late for any decent trout fishing so I thought of what I would do other than just riding around winding roads, hugging the curves. I really needed to stop and get out for a bit. I decided that I needed some exercise so I thought of my favorite hiking trails.

I rode through and above Helen, a cute little tourist trap of a town designed to resemble a village you would find in Bavaria, Germany. It seems unlikely that one would be swept into believeing they were in the Alps rather than the Appalachians, but Helen really sucks in the tourists as I have yet to go through there on any given weekend in my entire life and find it uncrowded.

I took my favorite scenic byway right outside of Helen. I was surprised at all the wildflowers still in bloom. I noticed the Chattahoochee River is still low since we are still in desperate need for some rain. I met a million bikers and motorcyclists and became jealous of their openess to the air so I turned off my AC and rolled down my windows and opened the sunroof and turned up my Tom Petty.

Finally, I decided I would hike the short Dukes Creek Falls Trail. It is only 1.1 miles down to the falls. And even though that makes it a 1.1 mile straight back up and out, it still seemed like a wuss trail after the hiking I did over the summer. Still, I needed some exercise and a short trail (since I was getting a late start). I decided that Dukes Creek would do and since I have already hiked this particular trail several times, I would see how fast I could do it. This hike was more of an exercise workout for me than a scenic hike.

I started out at a fast pace and almost immediately passed a pair of hikers. Then I passed more hikers. I quickly walked alongside the rushing creek, hardly noticing it. I zipped by a few more hikers. I rounded a switchback and passed another hiker. It seemed I was down by the falls in no time. I quickly ran down the wooden stairs to the observation deck by the falls and took a quick look before turning around and heading back up the mountain full speed ahead.

During my brief moments by the lovely falls, I noticed that a couple of people taking pictures of the falls looked at me and my rushing along disapprovingly. Clearly they were saying, "Where's your camera? Why did you even bother coming down here if you didn't care about seeing the falls? Take time and smell the roses. Sheeeesh!" I know that's what they were thinking because that is exactly what I think about those kinds of people who rush along like they are still in city mode and don't take the time to appreciate all that which is surrounding them. Trying to prove myself as a true outdoorsy girl, I turned to one lady and said, "Wow. Still just as pretty here as all the other times I've hiked down and took all those pictures!" She ignored me so I shot off like a dart back up the trail.

I walked back past several of the people I passed on my way down. There were the same group of teenagers again...what was that?! One of the teeny boppers gave me a mean look that I could plainly read. It said bitch. I wanted to spin around and yell to her, "Don't be hatin'!"

It occurred to me right then. I had become one of those no-camera-carrying, no nature appreciating trail hogs that come up on your heels and walk right behind you sighing loudly until you finally get out the way and let them pass. I thought about how much I hated these people. These people don't deserve to be on the trail because they don't appreciate it anyway. Okay, so maybe the real reason I hated them is because they made me feel like an inferior, lazy, slow, fat-butt hiker as they easily plowed me over without breaking their stride. I would curse them under my breath as I choked on their dust.

When I reached the parking lot, I checked the time. I had made it in less than forty five minutes. I know that there are hikers that could easily smoke me. I know that I still tire on long hikes. I know that I still have a long way to go before becoming the really tough hiker I want to be. But I also know that I have improved greatly on my endurance and I can do about 100 times more than what I ever thought possible when my doctor diagnosed me with asthma. I am in so much better shape than I have ever been. I wanted to go back down and meet those people who gave me dirty looks and yell, "Sucka!"

You can hate me because I'm beautiful, but don't hate me because I'm faster and fitter than you. ;)

10 comments:

The Grunt said...

Amen! I hardly ever take a camera with me on hikes. Well, I just used to not be into taking pictures, but I do enjoy the scenery

Keshi said...

heyyy fast n fit Ms.Beautiful hows u? :)

Keshi.

Scott said...

Yeah, I am not big into bringing the camera on hikes either... it just becomes bothersome.

I am a bad blog friend, an email is to follow soon.

Scott

Outdoorsy Girl said...

That's the thing...I AM into taking my camera EVERYWHERE. Photography is as much a passion for me as the hiking itself.

I didn't bring my camera yesterday just because I wasn't thinking. And then I made it a marathon. lol.

SS said...

Sounds beautiful though. We don't have any nice hiking trails like that...

yrautca said...

I cant imagine people hating people on a beautiful hiking trail. You should just ignore people who are mean to you. I would just let somebody pass me if they were in a hurry. I don’t want to complete with them. I am out there to enjoy the scenery. There is nothing wrong with passing as long as other dont feel rushed.

Oh and get one of those camera phones. Then you wont have to worry about not having a camera or a phone.

Lindsey said...

Helen is such a nice little place. I haven't been there in forever! I think it's time for another day trip.

Barry said...

I try to take a camera everywhere - but sometimes I forget

Lisa said...

Can I hate you because you're beautiful AND fitter than me?

Being one of the slower folks, I usually think the opposite: I feel like the really fit, fast hikers are wondering what the heck a poseur like me is doing clogging up their trails.

Anonymous said...

oh boy, the one we love to hate ?

iggle as long when i start to walk again, dont get huffy with me ;)