Sunday, September 17, 2006

Football and other weekend fun

Thanks to my brother's generosity, I was able to go the the UGA football game this Saturday. It has been quite a while since I actually went into Sanford Stadium to watch a game so when he offered me his season tickets (while he upgraded to his company's seats) I was very excited. There is nothing quite like being at the game. You never know just what you're gonna get out of those crazy Georgia Bulldog fanatics!

I took my good friend (who I haven't menti0ned in quite a while) the Germaphobe along with me. It was an early game. Kick off was at 1:00 p.m. We were intoxicated by 11:30 a.m. Nothing like tailgating in the morning and seeing people passed out along the sidewalks at 10:45 in the morning. Like I said, you never know what to expect out of these crazy fans. They are in a league of their own.

After following the sea of red and black to the stadium, we watched UAB be pulvarized.

It was so much fun to be in the atmosphere again. I grew up around Athens walked the UGA campus too many times to count, partied in downtown in my younger years, and listened to many bands. My brother graduated from UGA and has remained a big part of the Athens scene, but I haven't. I gave it up and moved closer to the Atlanta scene. It was like a homecoming of sorts for me.

By the way, I never found my brother and his friends at the game, though we did communicate several times via cell phones.

"Are you in your seats now?" he asked.
"Yeah. Where are you?" I say.
Brother: "Forty yard line, about three quarters a way up on the lower level. I'm waving at you."
Me: "Ummmm. You and about a thousand other people!"
Brother: "Well, I think I see you. What are you wearing?"
Me: "I'm the one wearing red. You can't miss me."
Brother: "Smart ass. You and about 92,000 other people!"

He was a little intoxicated, too. I guess it was like the blind finding the blind?

On Sunday, I joined my friend and her hubby and some of their friends on their boat for an afternoon of fun in the sun on Lake Lanier. It turned out to not be very sunny, but it was fun.

I arrived at the boat ramp where I was to meet my friends. It was at this point in time when my friend W. informed me that someone would help pull me in to the boat on the tube. The what? I was hoping my cell phone was breaking up and I didn't hear right. As I stood along the shoreline staring out at the pair of boats I just realized were the ones they were in, I was beginning to visualize balancing myself on this donut float trying desperately not to drop my cell phone or car keys into the murky depths of the filth that is known as Lake Lanier while attempting to keep my white, thin capri pants as dry as possible."Did you just say pull me in on the tube?" I asked. Yes, that was what she had said. She did not mention that their boat and another friend's boat were tied together and that the water was down so much that the dock was out of water and there was no way other way to pick me up. "I knew if I told you, you wouldn't have come!" W. yelled to me in defense from across the great span of water that I was apparently going to have to cross. And she was right. She knows my dislike of this particular lake of which I have so many theories and unrational fears. (It really is gross, y'all.)

Anyway, one of their really cute friends offers to come and help me. He was so sweet and promised that he wouldn't let me tip over. After some persuasion, I followed his advice and lay across the float on my stomach for better balance. I finally allowed him to lead me across the lake's water through my many protests and outbursts of words such as "yuck", "gross", "What if I drop my cell phone?!" "Ouch! My keys are digging into my leg!" and "Ewwww! Don't let that water touch me!"

When I was safe on the boat, I wished desperately I could have a do-over with that first impression. I am so not that little girlie whiner that doesn't like to get dirty. I can swim. I am not afraid of water...except that nasty lake. I wanted to explain that to him. I wanted to let him know that I am a cool, outdoorsy girl. Though I did chat with him a throughout the afternoon, the moment for talking about how much I enjoyed rafting the Colorado River and hope to do some rafting in Jackson Hole someday and how I can't wait to go snorkeling in the Bahamas this spring--because you know I really love water and am not afraid of it--just never came up. Crap!

By the way, did I mention that the main purpose of this trip was for W. to introduce me to Cute Friend? Who wants to place bets on him not calling me? Somebody just shoot me.

4 comments:

yrautca said...

I think he will call. It seems you had fun at the game and at Lake Lanier. I often go to Lake Lanier when I am in ATL.

You should have told this guy, dude I know I came across as Paris Hilton but here is my blog address, I swear I am the toughest girl on blogs!!!!

hehehehehehe

Scott said...

Hey you never know...

Glad that you had a good time at the game. US College football is the best. I got to University of Michigan games when I get the chance. I love it.

Scott

SS said...

Yeah football -- in person!! I need to get me some of that soon.

As for the cute friend. YOU should totally call him if you're interested. Stop being so traditional... Be a tough outdoorsy girl and take a risk on phoning him =)

The Grunt said...

Is the Athens scene still a scene? What's it like now?