Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Goals of a Traveling Fool...

Always the dreamer, I have lately been mulling over in my mind: What exactly is it that I would like to add to my adventure experiences? I mean there are so many things I want to do! And there are so many things that I would like to do again! What were my biggest dreams? After thinking for a while, I came up with several answers (and reasons to support the answers) and now they are my goals. These are goals that I plan to accomplish within a two year frame:

1.) I am going to hike all of the Appalachian Trail in Georgia, all of the nearly 80 miles (not including Approach Trails), this year. After jumping back in the hiking scene with my Super Villain hiking buddy after a long Winter break, my appetite was whetted to tackle some good trails. I was thinking back with fond memories of the sections of the AT that I have completed already. Why not do all of Georgia? I mean, to walk to Maine would be much more impressive, but I am poor and cannot afford months away form work. So what I will do is walk from Springer Mountain, Georgia to Bly Gap, North Carolina. After extensive research, I have planned a way to do it in 8 weekends on 8 hikes, with only one of them being an overnight backpacking trip... Super Villain, are you ready???

2.) I am going to snorkel in the Florida Keys, the Bahamas, and Mexico. I got new snorkeling gear for Christmas this year that I am itching to try out! I have snorkeled in the Keys and in Mexico before and can’t wait to return because it is so awesome! I also won a cruise to the Bahamas that Best Friend and I plan to take sometime this year. I have been reading up on the national parks and reefs there and can’t wait to swim there with Bahamian fishies.

3.) I am going to hike to the top of Yosemite National Park’s Half Dome. Ever since I left Yosemite in August of 2000, I have wanted to stand on top of that mountain and look down into the valley from its dizzying heights. The hike is challenging and the climb to the summit is at such a steep pitch that it requires the use of cables. I want to nip that fear of falling in the bud and well, if that don’t do it, I don’t know what else could!

4.) I am going to Peru to hike the Inca Trail to the Machu Picchu ruins. It has been a dream of mine to walk in the footsteps of the ancients for several years and I have wanted to hike in the Andes for even longer. So... it’s two birds to be killed with one stone (most likely) in June 2007. (As long as Best Friend gets the job with the airlines so that we can get to Lima without first having to hock everything we own! If not, then it might be the following year, but it will happen!)

Of course, these are just the four BIG goals. There are many other smaller things to be done in the meanwhile!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

yeah, i guess i'm ready. do we have to sleep in the same sleeping bag?

Outdoorsy Girl said...

Only if you want to, Super Villain.... ;)

Anonymous said...

okay, we'll give it a try.......