Monday, October 08, 2007

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

I thought about that movie as I drove along the winding roads in the North Georgia mountains yesterday. What a concept, I thought. Yet until this weekend, I never would have thought that something as extreme as having someone erased from your memory would be a good idea. It would have had to have been quite an unbearable pain to make one want to forget even the good things and happy times spent with that person. It would make that time invested with that soon-to-be-forgotten someone a complete waste and time is something too precious to throw away.

As hot, tears rolled continuously down my cheeks yesterday I decided that a treatment which could wipe clean my memory of this one person would be the perfect solution. I only had a couple of months invested in this person so the destruction of my memories should only affect my life in minimal ways. Yet this short time of investment in this particular relationship is killing me.

I have been through this many, many, MANY times before. But this time is different. This man in not a jerk. This man is incredible. This man is very much like me and we completely get one another. We are being torn apart by circumstance. He is joining the army and going away for many years and this is why it ends.

I don't even want to remember the good things because they hurt too much. And I think they always will because of that regret that nothing was wrong with our relationship yet there is nothing that can be done to salvage it. And that is a shame. I am sure I will always feel like that. And I don't want to.

Of course there is no computer that my brain can be hooked up that will pick through my brainwaves and detect painful links to him and delete them, so I guess a spotless mind is not really feasible. I still tried to take matters in my own hands, though.

I remembered Jim Carrey's character as his memories of his beloved Clementine were fading away. Regret settled in and he desperately began to fight the procedure and hold on fiercely to any memory of her that he could. If it were me in that chair, I think that if I knew that a second chance would end in the same result, I would let it fade completely, but if there was any chance for a do-over with a different result, I am sure I would be calling out, "Meet me in Montauk", too. I then wrote his first and last name on a piece of paper (on the off chance this would work and I came across him again in the future), tucked it between the pages of a book, and prayed desperately to forget him or at the very least not care anymore.

As soon as my NyQuil-groggy mind awakened this morning, I remembered him and my heart sank. It didn't work. I dragged myself out of bed to get ready for work. As I slipped out of the warm covers and onto the floor, I tripped on something and fell. I mumbled an obscenity and hit the lightswitch to see what attacked me. I had kicked the book and lying on the floor beside it was the paper I had written on and his name glaring back at me. I laughed to myself. His memory is determined to cause me pain in one way or another.

While sitting in traffic on my way home from work, it occurred to me that I don't need a spotless mind. Bit by bit, I feel my heart shutting down again. But this time, probably for good. Your mind does the thinking; your heart does the feeling. So it looks like I will be okay in the end anyway...well, as long as my mind doesn't tell my heart to whisper out, "Meet me in Montauk."
--------------
I guess this explains my sketchy/absense of blogging lately. Anyway, there's good news on that! I am about to get back in my game of traveling and fun. I have some things in the works now and I can't wait to share the experiences.

12 comments:

yrautca said...

well why would you wanna erase the memory? Does love always have to end up with two people on a couch together? If you have good memories, keep them and wish him luck. You can write him and keep in touch without expectation. Who knows what the future has in store.

Scott said...

Intense post! i hope that you are feeling better and that life is going well today.

Anonymous said...

If he is the one then fight for him tell him that you don't want him to go and see if he feels the same way. Love is worth fighting for! You are worth fighting for! If it doesn't work out then it wasn't meant to be but atleast you tried. Go for it!

SS said...

Oh, I know how you are feeling! I have never been one to want to erase anyone from my memory but sometimes I get caught up in the "what if" game... like what if you had written him off for being too young... or what if you had starting seeing him right after you met instead of just a few months ago, would he have still joined the army?... that sort of thing. It's all very hurtful and damaging though. You can't undo the past or wish it away or even hope that you can forget it. But you can learn from the past... and hopefully that will lead to a better, wiser future. Good luck girl!

tsduff said...

I'm sorry. Your pain is palpable. I wonder if unlike you, I would hold on frantically to those memories, refusing to relinquish even a single moment... chosing instead to suffer when each one comes stabbing... Hugs xo

The Grunt said...

Memory is what makes "fire hot" stick with us. I'm sorry about the pain.

Keshi said...

** only had a couple of months invested in this person so the destruction of my memories should only affect my life in minimal ways

not really Outdoorsy. u may meet a guy for just 2 days and hv a lasting impact on ya. thats how some r'ships r.


HUGGGGGGGGGGGZ!
Kehsi.

BUMBLE!!! said...

Combining "Eternal Sunshine" and outdoors... I really gotta say the iced over Long Island scenes were incredible - it always makes me think of Whitman's As I Ebb'd with the ocean of life.

I think as we get older, we tend to see relationships as there is more at stake if this isn't the one. As I contemplate the 1 I'm getting into, there seems to be a lot more questions to "do we want the same things" and if not "we should just leave now". fortunately, it's still compatible for me (that said, i'm sorry that circumstances are dividing you).

There is a part of Dostoevsky's White Nights where the main character debates whether or not it's better to have known love and lost it than to never have known it at all.

That said, for all of the pain, I'd feel the regret.

Have a better weekend.

BUMBLE!!! said...

PS great yellowstone pics.

Scary Monster said...

A moment of sharing and then a parting still leaves the imprint of another upon our soul.
If we are to peel away the imprint then we are erasing a tiny bit of ourselves as well.

Leave yerself whole. You wouldn't want to become a shadow, would you?

Go Stompin.

The Grunt said...

Is it too soon to ask whether you've seen a ghost yet? I'm waiting for that post. It's got to be about the time you get home from that field. Come on! Were there any "Scooby" snacks?

Keshi said...

wussup girl? :)

Keshi.