Monday, May 21, 2007

It's alive! IT'S ALIVE!!!

I made an important discovery this weekend. It happened while talking on the phone with a good friend of mine. It had been a while since I’d last spoken with this friend and we were having a great time catching up. I was excitedly chatting away about recent happenings and my upcoming trip when something nearly choked me up. You see, I heard a familiar voice in the background of her phone. It was her neighbor. It was someone that was once special to me.

At first my heart sank. Then as I heard the voice clearer, my stomach dropped. Then I heard his laughter. For a moment I thought I felt a lump developing in my throat. I have no idea why. This person and I were never in a very serious relationship. In fact, the time we spent together was limited. Despite that, I felt differently about him than I did about all the others. I don’t know how. I only know it was different. I have been able to walk away from every man I ever knew without too much trauma and he was no exception. But when I walked away from his doorstep, something felt askew. It was enough for me to pause for a moment in the middle of his driveway and do a half-turn back. Of course, I stopped myself, shrugged off that feeling and mumbled something to the effect of, “Whatever. Screw him, too.” And I forgot about him just like I did everyone else. ...Until that moment I heard his voice.

This sounds like a bad thing, right? Well sure, it is never great to feel a bit of sadness, but at least I felt something. It seems that my heart is not as dead as I had thought. Now don’t get me wrong…I’m not a mean person. It’s just that death and divorce and a few breakups scattered into the mix has left me with an armored wall built around my heart. It seems that everyone I love leaves in some way, whether by death or some other means. I have learned to appreciate those I love while they are still here, but rarely let anyone new come into my life. I am untrusting and sometimes cold when it comes to meeting men. I don’t let them get very deep into my heart (just in case they disappear) and I tend to move forward very quickly with an alarmingly low amount of care about it. I have been told by a few that I have a nonattachment issue that can rival even the most noncommittal, wishy-washy man.

So with that being said, I think that what I felt when I heard that voice is a big deal. My heart is alive! It’s truly alive! That little twinge of pain, that brief moment of grief, that—dare I say it?regret breathed a bit of life into the deepest part of my heart. For about 10 seconds I wondered if I had left more than just a few harsh words behind on his doorstep on that cold day.

…And then I said, "screw it" again and went out with someone else that night. I might have felt a little something, but it was nothing that a little snogging* couldn’t remedy. Hey, my heart may be dysfunctional but at least I know it works!

By the way, it's LESS THAN A WEEK until I leave for Germany!!! I am certain that my lively heart will feel happy there. :D

-------------------
*A special note for my “special” friend Red, just in case she is reading this: Remember, snogging does NOT mean what you thought it did! ;)

9 comments:

Scott said...

Is Germany ready for you is the big question...

Cheers,

Scott

Anonymous said...

oh my god! you snogged someone on the first date. you are not the woman i thought you were, well then again, maybe you are.

;)

you know i love yah. and i am very happy your "cold" heart is alive and beating. i for one, never thought you to be cold, more luke warm, maybe room temp. iggle!!!

Anonymous said...

OG, as much as you would love for everyone to believe you're a cold-hearted man hater, I know that's just not true.

Red, I can't believe you didn't know what snogging meant. lol :-p

Keshi said...

Im glad ur HEART is alive n beating moist memories girly. HUGGGGGGGGGZ!


**It seems that everyone I love leaves in some way, whether by death or some other means

I agree..its the same story here.


Anyways look forward to Germany laaaadaayyy WOW!


Keshi.

SS said...

Is snogging the same as canoodeling? Canoodeling is the word I always hear in the tabloids to explain what 2 celebrities have been up to together. I figure it's just a nicer way of saying "getting it on."

Oh, but can I say (I mean, what the heck, you can just shoot me down and go back to your hard ass ways) that perhaps you should give this guy another shot. I mean, if he awakened something in you - even if just minor and briefly - then perhaps it's worth exploring (again in a minor and brief manner). I mean, what was it you said? Snogging fixes everything? Well, you could be snogging with him.

Or, you know, just say "fuck it" - whatever you want ;)

Scary Monster said...

Me truly dislikes running into or hearing about people from me past. Me be the kind of monster that gets way to attached to people and hates it when me be forced to STOMP away.

yrautca said...

Its good that you find your heart to be alive. However, make sure its alive for the right person and the right reasons.

Outdoorsy Girl said...

Scott...That is a good question!

Red...LOL!

JM...Hogwash, I say! lol.

Keshi...We always seem to have the same story!

SS...Snogging is British slang for making out. haha. I believe I will just go back to my H.A. roots. I am about 90% sure that there is no chance of rekindling that. But he was a good snogger! LOL!

Scary...I sometimes hate running into those people, too--but only when I discover that maybe I haven't moved on...which feels to be the case with this one. Ugh.

Yrautca...My heart isn't alive for anyone in particular. It's just good to know that I am slowly coming out of the numb I-don't-care-about-anything phase.

The Grunt said...

Good for you and your heart. Have fun in Germany.