Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Guess where I'm going!

I am planning a trip,--a COOL trip! If everything goes according to my plan, I will be going overseas in less than two weeks. If I go, I will be making a major traveling dream of mine come true. Woo-hoo! Everyone, please keep your fingers crossed for me. That way, this blog might actually become interesting again.

This past weekend I got my International Driving Permit. Oh the crap they make you do just to get that little paper!

First, I had to drive around the Road Atlanta track on the left side of road and take the curves at 130 miles per hour. They set up an obstacle course full of foreign signs for me to follow, too! I’m sorry but in the words of Dr. Evil, I don’t speak freaky-deaky Dutch! But the worst part of all was that they actually made me convert miles into kilometers! I mean, come on people, is it too much to ask for the rest of the world to give up the Metric System for the English System?

Okay, so none of that really happened. It was much easier than that. I went to AAA with two passport sized photos, paid them some money, and they gave it to me. But I did have to wake up early on Saturday to do this. That was bad enough.

Autobahn, here I come! Oh yeeeeah!

15 comments:

yrautca said...

OG, FYI, South Dakota is in the US and by most standards not considered an international trip. Your welcome!

Keshi said...

OMG u lucky person..take me too! Perhaps then I can test if my jerk-of-all-trades genes work overseas too.

Keshi.

The Grunt said...

I hope you don't drive on the left side of the road in Germany. They are normal like us and drive on the right hand side. Well, if you are in some kind of crazy car chase with international mobsters or spies, then you may drift over and weave in and out of oncoming traffic. That would be so cool!

SS said...

Oh, you're going? And so soon!!! Yay!!!!! Can you sneak me along ;)

HAVE FUN!

Anonymous said...

You are living my dream. Seeing the world.

Scary Monster said...

"I don’t speak freaky-deaky Dutch!" LOL. Me weregonna say the same thing as Cap'n Grunty, but now that you've practiced you can always come to Lilliput and drive on the wrong side of the road here.

Thanks for the pics. The post be up...STOMP!

Serena said...

Wow, I hope you get to go. Sounds like a great trip. Too bad I wouldn't fit into a backpack like Scary Monster; I'd love to go along.:)

deepsat said...

yay!! have fun and do get us some pics!!

;-))

tsduff said...

I just got mine too (IDL) and it was just as you said :-D

Autoban eh? Must be Germany. Do you have German roots? With all that blond hair I thought maybe :-)

For one going over seas in two weeks, you sure are calm. I'm leaving in 6 days, and I'm a basket case!! I'll give a wave to you from Italy... bongiourno! Guten tag and ciao!

Starboard Tack said...

So where are you going? And why do you need the IDL?

I've rented a car overseas (in Europe) many times, and never gotten an IDL. Still, if you have gotten the IDL, you must be serious about going?

So give us the scoop!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

You've gote nough trouble driving in your home country, much less somewhere else where you don't speak the language! I guess they don't pull your record....LOL JK

Claire said...

Heheheh, awesome post. I was getting worried back there, but then the punchline kicked in!

Cxx

Outdoorsy Girl said...

Yrautca...Thanks so much for the clarification!

Keshi...We could test that theory together.

Grunt...If that happens, I'll make sure I get it all on video for you!

SS...If I could take anyone else along with us, it would certainly be you!

E...Yay! Three visits from E! It's my dream, too. :)

SM...Thanks for the post. It was fun! I think I would do excellent driving in Lilliput. If I can drive on the left side of the road in traffic on a moped in Bermuda, I might could manage that.

Serena...Thanks for the visit! It would be very cool to fit in a backpack! Oh, the places I would go!

Deepsat...Of course there will be many pictures!

Terry...I know my roots are in Scotland. I don't know about Germany, but if so, it would certainly explain this fascination I have with the place!

I hope your trip to Italy is excellent!!! That's gonna be my next stop. (I hope!) I'll be stopping by to see your pics! Ciao!

Starboard...The rental car place said I needed an IDL in Germany. I personally think that it is a ploy for AAA to make some money. They rarely ask for those papers when you rent a car, but if they do and you don't have one..... :( And that would be JUST MY LUCK! Better safe than sorry!

Hottx...What! I have a perfect driving record. Except for that ONE speeding ticket. (And that wasn't my fault!!)

Claire...I'm glad you kept reading, then! LOL!! :)