Sunday, November 19, 2006

Been there, Done that

Anyone that has ever read this blog more than once knows that I love to travel. I love to visit new places. I love to return to my favorite places and try new things. I love meeting new people. I guess you could say that I love everything about traveling (except the expenses!)

With the exceptions of Canada, Mexico, and Bermuda, all of my traveling has been within the boundaries of the United States. And though I still haven’t crossed all 50 of the states off my Places Visited List, I have at least been in every region of the U.S. I know the farthest both North and West I have ever been is Cape Flattery, Washington. The farthest East I have been within the States is Martha’s Vineyard, Massachusetts (but Bermuda is the easternmost.) And the farthest South I have been within the U.S. is Key West, Florida, a mere 90 miles to Cuba (but the southernmost point I have reached is the Yucatan Peninsula, Mexico). I never really thought about just how much of my country I have seen until I was driving home tonight listening to the radio and found myself singing along with the Steve Miller Band…


I went from Phoenix, Arizona All the way to Tacoma
Philadelphia, Atlanta, L.A.
Northern California where the girls are warm
So I could be with my sweet baby, yeah …

And then it hit me! I really have been to all those places! That’s when I began to remember all the places I have been and all the places I hope to go.

I still have more of my own country to see (and see again), but I feel accomplished on having seen at least as much as I have already. Now it’s time to start tapping into other parts of this great, wide world. After I complete my Spring 2007 trip to the Caribbean, I hope to get serious about planning my trip to Peru to hike the Inca Trail up to Machu Picchu.

Keep on a rock'n me baby
Keep on a rock'n me baby…

Now I can’t get the freakin’ song out of my head! And the worst part of it is that this will probably be song I hum as I climb my way up the Andes along the path of the ancients.

I really should listen to cooler music. ;)

17 comments:

Keshi said...

and plans to visit Down Under?

:)
Keshi.

Outdoorsy Girl said...

Absolutely going Down Under, Keshi...As soon as I can round up about $7K! Which means, I probably won't be seeing you any time soon! :( LOL!

yrautca said...

Yeah I am pretty impressed by and envious of your travels, and all that supposedly on a teacher's salary while living at The Vortex. You must be loaded OG.

Scott said...

Hey there is nothing uncool about Steve Miller.

Travelling rocks... one day I am heading to the A T.

Scott

Outdoorsy Girl said...

yrautca...I'm not loaded. I stole your credit card that night. ;)

scott...Start here in Ga!

Ekta said...

stumbled on ur blog thru keshis and must say i am sooo like u...absolutely love travelling and hope to cover the entire span of the world by the time am 60!!!
Do keep posting your travelogues..wld love to read them!

Keshi said...

awwwww :*(

Keshi.

SS said...

Cooler music? I love the Steve Miller Band! And, if I may say so, I am super cool and have great taste in music.

Anyway, I do think it's great all the places you've been. I've never been to Phoenix, Tacoma or Philly -- how sad! But, I have been lots of other great places and I hope to go lots more. Traveling is the best =)

yrautca said...

OG, is that what you were doing in my pocket? And I thought you were just showing me that you liked me ;)

The Grunt said...

Yeah, and you get to look forward to many more new places. Cool music is for kids.

Lindsey said...

You should put up a map with pins in all the places you've been.

CozyMama said...

i LOVE steve miller.

Lindsey said...

:o) So if you do decide to adopt a soldier...here are a few helpful tips. First go to the post office and get some of the large Flat Rate boxes (they're free). You'll want to send your monthly packages in this instead of a normal box b/c no matter how much stuff you put in it, it only costs $8.10 to ship as opposed to $15. And don't freak out, the box doesn't look really big but you can get more stuff in there than you think. I did most of my shopping at the Dollar Tree because they carry all sorts of name brand stuff and it was still only $1 each. Love it.

Tripchick said...

Well I just got my vaction request back..no spring break vaction but oh well I am calling in so we can cruise. Also I think we should make london sometime in june what do you think?

Outdoorsy Girl said...

ekta...Thanks for stopping by. :)

Keshi...If I had the money, Australia would be one of the first places I would travel to.

SS...You are super cool, so if you say Steve Miller is okay then he is super cool. And yes, traveling IS the best! And YOU'VE been to some awesome places...Alaska, Paris...just to name two. :)

Yrautca...just because I was showing you I liked you, doesn't mean I can't take your money, too. ;)

Grunt...yep, I have so many more places to hit! Speaking of which, I will most likely be snowboaring in your neck of the country in the next few weeks. :) YAY!

Lindsey...I actually do have a map with all my visited places marked off! :) And thanks for the tips for Soldiers Angels. This will be helpful. Thanks so much!

Jodes...I actually love SMB, too. Thanks for stopping by!

Hernesto G...I like wasting my time. What else is there to do with it?

Riverrat...Uh yeah! You need to call in for that week. Damn them trying to ruin our cruise and snorkeling and sea kayaking! And London in June...HELL YEAH!

Keshi said...

Happy Thanksgiving girl!

Keshi.

yrautca said...

Hey, like the new skin. Nice colors.