Monday, July 16, 2007

Friday the 13th Camping...

I went camping this weekend with my family on Friday the 13th. There was no Jason and all of us came out of the trip alive. I was, however, a little worried that it might have turned a little scary...camping with the family, that is. Spending time with family members--especially the parents--in tents in the middle of the forest (with very few witnesses around) could turn far scarier than anything Jason or Freddy could hash out!

It turned out to not be very scary after all and we had fun. (I did, of course, set up my own tent not to be shared with those other crazy people.) I went hiking, biking, and fishing the whole weekend. I discovered a new favorite cliff-side fishing hole that I enjoyed because I felt that being so high up made me invisible to the fishes. Well, that and there was a small waterfall next to it that I could play in once I became bored.

This was nothing like the primitive camping that Best Friend and I are used to. I mean there was actually an established CAMPGROUND and you could see other PEOPLE! Still the beauty along the Tallulah River and the gorge is awesome and you must travel down a long, winding dirt road deep into the Chattahoochee National Forest to get there. Traveling only a few miles down the dirt past our campsite will lead you into North Carolina, but not before traveling through impressive Tate City with only about 6 houses and a whopping population of 32 (give or take)! Tate City cracked me up and we all had a good, long laugh about it.
If you can imagine what it would be like to run across a "city" in the forest, then imagine what it would be like to be sitting in your campsite in the forest and then hear what sounds like carnival music growing louder. I was wondering if Tate City had set up a fairground for it's 30 residents until I realized that it was not a fair, but an ice cream truck pulling into the campground! At first I was taken back by my wilderness experience being tarnished by such a civilized act as ice cream delivery. But that only lasted a moment. This was ICE CREAM, my kryptonite, my diet spoiler, after all!!! HELL YEAH!!! It seemed that I would not have to suffer through two whole days without ice cream after all! Now if only Grand Teton and Yosemite National Parks would just get on board with this program, I might just consider taking a longer backpacking trip next time.
-------------------
Here's your grand tour of Tate City! Welcome! If you want, you can just move in to one of the 6 houses and become a resident. Our sign allows for an additional person to move in (or die).





There's grand sites to see like this barn. Anyone who lived in the Southeast along Interstate 75 and Interstate 24 about 20 years ago can appreciate (and find humor in) this knock off of the famous "See Rock City" barns. Those of you who have no idea what I'm talking about, give me a sympathy chuckle and move right along...


There's fine shopping at Tate City. Click on this photo to check out the mall! The Pots To Piss In Outlet store is to die for!






And there are also incredible day trips to North Carolina available! This unfortunately concludes the tour of Tate City.






--------------------------------

Self portrait time! It was a difficult task to set my camera on self timer, jump off that boulder, and wade my way across the river before the 10 seconds were up on the timer.



My aunt and dad fishing along the Tallulah River.






My other aunt and my mom weren't into fishing, though.






On one of my hikes I found this really cool snail...





and these pretty cool mushrooms.






Back at camp, we were cold so dad started this roaring fire. It was no where near the quality nor as long-lasting as my excellent fire building skills produce. And I don't cheat by using lighter fluid. Bad Daddy!




And last but certainly not least in my opinion, the ice cream truck! Yay for wilderness ice cream!!!!



6 comments:

yrautca said...

I miss my time in the wilderness. Such fun times. I wish I could just go and live in the wild, make a tent, eat fish, use leaves as toilet paper (or tree bark), make my own fire, use a sharp stone to cut my hair, use clay for deodorant, hang out with the monkeys. One day. Soon. who’s in?

The Grunt said...

That is what I call good timing--the ten seconds. I can honestly say that I've never seen an ice cream truck while camping.

Keshi said...

WOW seems like dream camping! U r one adventurous dudette.

Lovely pics and I love that Mushroom one!

**Tate City with only about 6 houses and a whopping population of 32

OMG I dun think I've ever been to such a city b4.


Keshi.

SS said...

Ice cream is my kryptonite too! But, camping? Yeah, you lost me there. Do they have a spa? Otherwise I'm out ;)

When you come to visit I'll take you to Fort Wilderness though - there they have single wide trailers with log cabin siding - classy! It's not real camping and you can see your neighbors but it is good fun.

Anonymous said...

Wow what a great you had in Tate City. Is Tate city in between Hole City and Ball City?

Outdoorsy Girl said...

yrautca...Sounds like you need to start your own wilderness show like Man vs. Wild.

Grunt...I'm a quick little bugger! This was my first ice cream truck sighting also. I would have totally been pissed if it were anything else but ice cream!

Keshi...Thanks. I have never been to such a "city" either! LOL!

SS...Ice cream, too?!? I love you more and more every day! Fort Wilderness sounds like fun. I remember reading one of your posts about it!

E...It is actually between Bumblefuck and Podunk. I'll take you to the mall there sometime, k?