Monday, May 05, 2008

Country Roads

Until it began to cost me near $50.00 in gas to fill up my Honda Civic, one of my favorite past times has always been taking a drive through the country down an old, winding road that I have never traveled and have no idea where it may lead.

Sometimes I find a road that is filled with little surprises: a scenic overlook, a peaceful stream, a forest that seems to know no humans, or glimpses of a bygone era. Other times I have found roads that seem to lead nowhere. Of course I am always hoping to find something interesting, some type of hidden "treasure" and end up disappointed when my drives lead me down those "nowhere" roads and I return home restless or unsettled.

The truth is that Forrest Gump's mama was right all along. Life is like a box of chocolates; you never know what you're gonna get. One thing is for certain: Unless you choose to travel life's unknown roads, you may never find those hidden treasures. Sure, you may take a few of those dead end or lead-to-nowhere roads, but if you keep on traveling, you just might choose the right road one day.

At least this is what I am telling myself nowadays, even when I keep choosing those bumpy, promising roads that lead into nothingness.
---------------------

Here's a few reasons I love a country drive...












7 comments:

yrautca said...

I like how you describe life as a journey. Hey, you should check out my post regarding a road trip I took this year on my blog.

Anonymous said...

were is the pic of that mill located? I would love to take S there!!!!

The Grunt said...

Love those photos. Long drives are great. I wish could fuel Clyde on wishes and rainbows. I'd drive down to the tip of South America, then.

Outdoorsy Girl said...

Y...I did read about that trip. Sounds like a great time! Loved your pics.

E...It's Johnson Mill located just outside of Cleveland. SUCH a pretty area. I'll bet it is awesome now that the area is so green and flowery. I'll be happy to give ya directions.

G...You are the only person I know that loves to take drives as much as I do and that's why I think you rock!

SS said...

I love the little overlooked quaint stuff. Nice pictures. But, yeah, road trips are not quite the frugal journey like they used to be!

Anonymous said...

I think you need more pics of hot chicks.

Anonymous said...

I think Super villain is right, we need more pics of hot chicks!