Saturday, June 09, 2007

Pictures at last!

Finally, I am posting some of the photos from my trip! It took me forever to sort through them and when I was finally finished, I just didn't want to look at them any more! But I'm over that now, so here are some pics from my first two days...

Day One: Black Forest

Best Friend and I landed in Munich at 7:30 a.m. and immediately began exploring. (Even though we hardly slept at all on the plane. Who's got time for sleep?) We grabbed up our rental car, which happened to be a manual shift vehicle despite the fact that I had reserved an automatic. I still drove a few minutes on the autobahn despite being virginal to manual shift driving. Come on! It was the autobahn, wouldn't you? The only other gripe I have about the car and the ridiculous cost of gas is that we were given a Citroen, a tiny bubble of car. I mean, I am in Bavaria for petesake so where was my Bavaria Motor Works car or at least a Mercedes?!?

So we took our bubble car and headed down to the Black Forest (Schwarzwald) in a little town called Triberg. Triberg is not only home to the world's largest cuckoo clock but also Germany's highest waterfall.







This sign here to the left is welcoming us to Triberg and to this nature park in the southern Black Forest. (Or at least that is what I, who cannot speak or read any German thinks it says.)

I thought that the Black Forest was beautiful and not quite as Hansel and Gretel-ish as I had expected, though they did have some evil looking squirrels with very pointy ears. Actually, they were black or reddish colored and very cute.

See how pretty the hike through the forest was? It actually looked very much like the same forests in the Blue Ridge Mountians here at home. The biggest difference was that there were way more Spruce and evergreens than here. Not very scary at all...







Except for the evil tree stump that tried to eat me!











One of the cascades of the Triberg Falls.







And here's the big cuckoo clock. As you can see, we still had 10 minutes before the big cuckoo made his appearance and we just had too much to do to wait for him.





Day Two: Munich in the rain!

After a restful night in a hotel in Ulm, we got up early and headed back to the Munich airport to return our micro machine....I mean...car. We caught the train into Munich and checked into our hostel. Yes, I said hostel, not hotel. We really wanted to have a true European travel experience, despite the movie by the same title. In the end, it was cheaper, we made good friends, and no one chopped our fingers off. I was really glad that we chose this route. It was fun!

After checking in, we headed out to the Marienplatz downtown for some sight seeing. I was disappointed in the icky, cool drizzle we had for weather that day, but it didn't ruin our fun. (Bet you thought I was going to say, "It didn't rain on our parade", didn't you?)

Here's the gothic Rathaus (Old Town Hall), home of the famous Glockenspiel. As I stepped off the train, I could hear the bells ringing above as I ran up the stairs and out into the Marienplatz. I had perfect timing to to join the rest of the very large crowd to watch the Glockenspiel's display. Can you believe that they were actually doing construction on the tower that houses the glockenspiel? The wasn't good timing for my phototaking but at least I saw it!
Here's a shot I took while watching the show. It was actually very overrated but, as I said, at least I got to see it.








I loved the architecture of the old buildings. The dragon climbing the spire was just one of the millions of detail on the Rathaus. There were hundreds of statues of knights and important men and horses adorning the building. I liked the dragon the best, though. And let's just admit it...fire-breathing dragons climbing buildings are just way cooler than King Kong!



We also visited the cathedrals and other sites.






After climbing the steeple of Alter Peter, (Old Peter Cathedral), we had a good view of Munich.










If I look cold, it's because I am. In the background you can see the two-towered Frauenkirche. It was built in the 1400s and still stands despite the damage it suffered in WWII.


There are a couple of creepy, cool sites within this cathedral...like the "devil's footprint" at the entrance and the Emperor's Tomb (resting place of Ludwig the Bavarian, who died way back in the 1300's, I think!)

But I found the skeletal remains of St. Munditia in Alter Peter (Old St. Peter's Cathedral) to be the creepiest of all, so that's the pic I posted.






Perhaps the greatest discovery of the day was the world famous beer hall, the Hofbrauhaus. We loved this place so much that it became the new Vortex (as you all know, that's my favorite restaurant!). We ate here 3 nights in a row. It was such a fun atmosphere. You just walk right in and sit with people you don't even know and have a ball listening to the band and drinking beer.



These mugs were so huge, I could hardly hold mine up! I corrected this problem by drinking its contents. It was much lighter then.



It was here that I also enjoyed my first real German meal.







And finished it off with a pretzel. This is to scale. Keeping in mind the size of the mug, notice how the pretzel dwarfs the mug.

Germany made me very fat, by the way.



I still have many more tales and pics to share, so stay tuned...

12 comments:

SS said...

Ooohhhhh!!! How exciting! Loved it all!

This trip totally inspired my plans for next weekend - How, you ask? Well, Epcot is hosting a summer concert series. Next Friday's band is Slippery When Wet - the "ultimate" Bon Jovi tribute band. How could I resist, right? But, I was so envious of your trip I decided that before seeing this fantabulous concert me and my friends should dine at one of my favorite restaurants - the Biergarten in the Germany pavilion at Epcot. It looks JUST like the Hofbrauhaus, and the beers inside are served in the exact same gigantic mugs. And, of course, it serves good German food and there's the band, entertainment, etc. I made the reservation and now I'm just waiting for Friday to get here. Sigh - I guess that will give me a little bit of my German fix... for now.

Can't wait to hear about the rest of the trip... and MORE PHOTOS =)

The Grunt said...

You'd have to spend more time than that there to get fat, skinny girl.

Cazzie!!! said...

So gorgeous, the whole post, s lucky for us to be able to share it with you ..thankyou :)

Keshi said...

Cool pics. ty sweetie!

**Glockenspiel

Is a lovely pic!


And u look so happy n cheerful in all the pics. That Pretzel sure looks good :)


Keshi.

Scott said...

Looks very cool. Love the pics as always. What is next???

Scary Monster said...

How busy could you have been that you couldn't wait for the worlds largest cukoo? Wait, you be a girl- giant cukoos probably not a new thang fer ya.

Love the beer and pretzel. Looks like a meal in itself.

SCHTOOOMP!

Anonymous said...

Great pics, but were is the one from the hotel? Or should I say the "HO"tel.

Starboard Tack said...

Wow! Everything looks beautiful. Can't wait to hear more.

Anonymous said...

You are amazing. You and bestfriend are lucky to have each other. You make me so happy and inspired when I read your blog.

Tai said...

LOVE your pics! We've had our European vacations almost at the same time...I think that's marvelous!

Next stop for me? Munich and the Hofbrauhaus. For you...Venice?

Outdoorsy Girl said...

SS...You don't know how much I really wish I could join you for that! SERIOUSLY!

Grunt...Awww, thanks!

Cazzie...Thank you! I am glad you stopped by and enjoyed it.

Keshi...Yep, I was very happy and the pretzels were good. Too good. ;)

Scott...Who knows? It would be great if it were Italy!

SM...Yeah, big cuckoos aren't really my thing. The pretzel indeed a meal in itself!

E...haha! The HOtel room was tiny. We did have more room in the HOStel, though. LOL!

Starboard...Thanks. I am working on it.

Anonymous...Thanks. You're right that my friend and I have one another to go on such fun trips with. After so many years, we still think it is crazy how much we have in common, even growing up on opposite sides of the country.

Tai...That's right...Next stop: Venice for me and Munich for you! That is cool that we were in Europe at the same time.

Anonymous said...

very impressive!! jealousy, covetnous, envious and rapacious are a few things that come to mind..oh by the way, NICE PHOTOGRAPHY!!

Utah Adam.
'-)